Blown fuse question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jjboogie, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

Just a second ago I blew a fuse in my Mesa Boogie LSS. I quickly replaced it and was back in business in just a minute. However I got wondering what actually caused it to blow. Do you know what causes them to blow? Is it something that I did? When I switch the wattage on the front or even the loop in button on the back should I first turn the amp completely off or just on standby or does it matter?

2. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

fuse blowing is usually an indication of a problem. you may want to take to your amp tech. it may be a simple issue, e.g., a bad tube

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've blown a fuse in two instances: 1) the attenuator I was using sort of shorted between clicks, and caused the amp to see no load momentarily (while I was strumming)...2) back retifier tube (possibly power tubes).

I'm sure others might be able to add more about your specific amp...but the fuse did it's job in protecting the amp for some reason.
    Greg

4. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

I have heard that power surges, bad or old tubes can cause them to go. I most certainly have surges in this old house I live in so I just put the amp into a surge protector.

The amp is only 3 months old so the tubes are no old however one may be bad....It sounds fine now.

5. cyndicate

cyndicate Member

Usually from my Experience with blown fuses, the culprit always ends up being 1 bad power tube.

6. jjboogie

jjboogie Member

How often would they blow with a bad power tube?

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

This is all speculation. If it blows again, get it to a tech. If you need to replace power tubes, you want to have him reset the bias anyway.

Otherwise, it could be damn near anything from power surge to power tubes, rectifier, or any number of other things in the power section.

8. cyndicate

cyndicate Member

Kind of hard to pinpoint if it is the tubes, but mine was easy to spot since when I turned the amp on from standby to on it would be glowing hotter than the rest.

9. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Bad club curcuits overloaded cause fuses to blow. I've seen them blow on Riveras & SWR bass amps. Alway bring a power conditioner

10. sinner

sinner Member

Anyone ever blow a fuse simply by turning the amp on/off/standby/on/off/on in quick succession?

Happen to me in the dark, reaching around for the on switch, turning on Standby instead, then fumbling around hitting on/off/standby several times and zap, blown fuse. Put a new one in and it works fine--but should I be worried?

11. PepeLeches

PepeLeches Member

I hope this is what happened to my new Rivera Venus 3. It worked ok for some days and then I switched power on (stand by still off) and it blew main fuse.That morning it worked fine.
    I use the same wall socket with other gear (Laney,Fender, Epiphone...) and the others never blew a fuse.

Saludos.