Blown speaker in my Fender Pro Reverb SF, what is smartest?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by revgsmall, Feb 6, 2008.

1. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I have two other threads going on my SF Pro Reverbs but I need help with this one too.

One of my Oxford speakers is blown, no output what so ever.

Would I massively kill the collector's value of the amp (its all orignal) if I had the speaker reconed.

Or am I better off replacing both Oxfords with another set of Oxfords from another identical Pro (Of which I own another SF Pro that has been modded back to blackface specs and the master volume removed. I would assume that the original/collector value of the modded amp is likely shot to hell, but I have the original Oxfords from that amp).

I know these amps are not big dollar collectors amps yet but I do notice the price going up on them significantly over the last few years.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. kimock

kimock Member

If I'm understanding the question correctly, the safe bet would be to retire the original Oxfords from the modded amp, to be re-installed in the unmodded amp for future sale. If you're blowing the things up now, take 'em out and keep 'em safe.

Recone both speakers from the stock amp, and play it like you stole it, no worries about pushing it, you've all ready committed to the recones.

Find some other speaks you like for the modded amp, and flog it too!

If you decide to sell the stock one, you'll have the correct original speakers to add to it's value, and you'll still have a great pair of broken in recones for the remaining amp if you prefer that sound.

I'd be a fool to speculate on the collectors value of any of this 5 or 10 years down the line, but if I was playing it safe, I'd do something like that.

peace

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Supporting Member

+1 exactly

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I'm with Kimock,recone the busted pair,then play it like you stole it.

5. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Or would I be better off just reconing the dead speaker and keeping the working stock speaker original.

I would then stick in some modern/reissue replacement speakers so I can gig with it.

That way I stick in the two same-era speakers in the stock Pro and have an extra 3rd speaker to sweeten the sale, when I decide to sell it.

I could keep the reconed speaker as a workhorse for some other amp down the way.

6. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Dude, I would do what Kimock says 100%.

By the way, you could grab so many speakers that would sound good in your PRs while you own them and want to play them(Jensens come to mind). In the context of collectability and resale,etc.... just keep those other Oxfords safe somewhere for what lies ahead in the market.

-d

7. bosstone

bosstone Member

You may not like this idea but I heard a pair of Celestions in one once and it sounded fantastic.

8. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I have Jensen reissues in the modded SF Pro. They sound absolutely fantastic. Very Fender.

Once I played a concert in South Dakota and they had a SF Fender Pro on the backline and it was just fantastic the way it broke up, yet with plenty of bottom end. I just loved playing on it. Before I left the stage I looked in the back and it had Celestion 25 watt Greenbacks. I was shocked!!!

I'll have to stick something in, just not sure what to get at this time. It would be nice to have a different flavor away from the modded Pro that totally nails the Fender tone.