Blown Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Mr. G., Aug 23, 2005.

1. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I actually "blew" one of my speakers in my 4x12 the other day! I was messin around with the clean channel on my Triple X head and turned the master volume up all the way and then the channel volume up about half way and got a cool crunch, so I turned it up to about 3 o'clock and got a sweet AC/DC type tone for about 10 seconds before BAM! I hear a pop and then the top left speaker is rattling very bad. So, I take the speaker out, and if I shake it, I can hear something ratteling inside it. What did I do to the speaker (technically speaking)?

It was an Eminence Governor btw.

Because of this, I took the rest of the speakers out, and put the G12T-75's back in, and then put one of the Gov's and Wizards in my classic 50. The combo sounds great with that amp. It's not boxy anymore and it really opened it up.

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like you decoupled the voice coil to me. If memory serves (I've never had it happen to me, but have heard it described by OCSR, my local Celestion recone station) the voice coil came apart from the suspension and it's rattling around inside the voice coil gap.

You'll be reconing that speaker, or turning it in under warranty for a replacement.

Sorry... hope it's not a big hassle for you. Good luck.

3. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I contacted Eminence about it and they told me to send it in for warranty evaluation. With my luck, they'll chock it up to misuse and deny the warranty work. I don't see how it can be misuse though since it's a guitar loudspeaker in conjunction with 3 other's equaling 300 watts with a 120 watt head on about 75-80% volume. A rig like that is intended to be cranked, but my luck, they'll say I turned it up too loud. :mad:

4. Scumback Speakers

There has been a lot of folks who have experienced "cone cry" and other stuff with the new Eminence speakers, so I'd imagine they're evaluating speakers that have died pretty closely. You shouldn't have a problem, though, they have a 7 year warranty, so with your setup you should be OK. If not, you can bitch about it here, and Eminence will likely respond. They did for another TGP member, so.... :D

5. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

6. Scumback Speakers

7. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

I guess the speaker was fubared, because when I got home yesterday there was a brand new speaker on my door steps. I'll have to give Eminence props... they were very easy to deal with. Only thing I had to pay was $7 for shipping.

8. Scumback Speakers

I bought one of the Private Jack speakers from a local speaker dealer for Eminence, and other major speaker brands. The output was low (like 3-4 db lower than the other G12M's and clones) and the tone was just awful. When I brought it back for a refund they tested it, and it turned out to have "the most g*dd**n awful cone cry I've ever heard" according to the tester at the dealer.

Maybe it was a fluke (I have a fairly good working knowledge of how to handle, transport & pack speakers by now), but the one thing I see common amongst all of these Emi gripes is the cone cry issue. Maybe it was a bad run of cones, who knows? At least they took care of it, and I got mine refunded, so we're both out about the same amount of $$, only mine was for a 60 mile roundtrip of gas.

Glad to hear they got it worked out for you (now let's hope the new speaker is good...right?).

9. Mr. G.

Mr. G. Member

Yeah, I'm keeping my finger's crossed on the new one.

I haven't had any problems with cone cry out of mine (other than the speaker screaming in pain after I blew it), at least, no more than any other speaker.