Bludo EL34 BIG IRON HRM ***first home impressions***

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LVC, May 11, 2008.

1. LVC

LVC Senior Member

First off I want say it was a pleasure to meet so many TGP members.
    It was fun to hang and put faces on the TGP monikers --- truly a great bunch of folks.

Stepping up to a new amp in group setting like the amp show has always been hard for me ... you have folks waiting on line to play the amp ...lots of noise and quite frankly what the hell do you play when you finally plug in? Do you fire off a few riffs to impress the folks around you? Do you play a couple of chords ... or dare I say ... attempt to play Politician?

Home is a different matter, you can sit down in your favorite chair, call up a couple of tunes or backing tracks on the computer ... and you can better explore the nuances of the amp and dial it in for specific guitars.

A while back I spoke with a fellow TGP member (resident Dumble expert). I told him I love my current ODS amp --- but I wanted something that was more of a historical reproduction much the same way that you can get historically accurate reproductions of great legendary cars like the Shelby cobra etc. I also wanted a different voicing and tubes (I currently have a non-HRM 6L6 Dumble inspired Fuchs which I love) --- but I wanted a true Dumble historical reproduction with EL34 tubes and modern voicing (HRM etc). I was encouraged to call Brandon at Bludotone.

Brandon and I talked extensively about tone --- sent him MP3s of voicing examples etc.... well on Saturday I picked up the result of many months of conversations and emails at the amp show. My big iron Bludo EL34 HRM dressed in tobacco suede. The Cab has a 200 Watt EVM 12S.

(from Mac Daddy thread) I will take close-up pictures in the next couple of days.

[​IMG]

When I plugged into the amp this morning I was disappointed. The cleans where not very inspiring, and very one dimensional, when I plugged in a reverb (Holy Grail) the OD sounded almost like it was clipping --- very harsh and brittle.

I was bummed.

I did not know what the hell to do. It sounded ok -- but not what I was expecting.... and certainly not like it sounded at the show.

I called Brandon.

and he told me to do 2 things

1) Build a temporary poor man's dumbulator (until I receive the one he is building for me)
    2) Get a decent reverb unit -- he suggested the T-Rex room Mate.

I went to Lark Street and purchased a used T-Rex room Mate and a used Bruno CowTipper (Yes I am an addict -- but TAG is right about the CowTipper).

So I get home and the first thing I need to do is make my poor man's dumblator. the Poor man's dumbulator is nothing more than getting a 20 foot guitar cable and plugging it in the loop. I placed the T-Rex in the front of the amp. I fire up the amp.

Magic! night and day. The amp literally came alive. The sound coming from the 1x12 cab was overwhelming --- it was multidimensional --- at ANY Volume!!!! The OD was as smooth as butter. It was a spiritual experience.

I need to spend more time with the amp but my first impressions are --- that this is unequivocally the best amp I have ever played.... and comparing to the real dumble I heard at the "TAGFest" (which I think was also an EL34) --- then I have to say -- that Brandon is making the best and most accurate historical reproductions of that legendary amp we all admire.

Thank you Brandon for bringing a lot of new joy and enjoyment into my life.

Laz

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

hmm, the cable transformed it that much???

3. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Brandon makes very tonally pleasing amps.

4. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I love my T-Rex Room mate
    I saw it waiting for P/u today at Buzzys
    also check out the MP Deep Blue Delay
    play it in good health

5. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Yes --- the change is very dramatic --- especially at lower volumes. the tone warms up and really the best way to describe it is that the sound takes on an almost 3D quality. Don't get me wrong the amp sounded OK without it --- but not anywhere as good as it sounded at the show.

It is literally like you are completing a circuit. It is even more dramatic with the OD station -- especially if you put a pedal in front of it.

The cleans with the cable in the loop and a little verb from the T-Rex are just drop dead gorgeous. The amp literally breathes with every stroke of the pick.

6. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

How on earth could you not play(crank)your new amp at the show??
    Tag,told me it sounded great.The only other D amp there he liked besides his E. Pro.:p
    Looking forward to some clips.
    I've got one being built too.
    It's a long way off though.
    I wish I could have been there to play 'em.

7. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I got to the show around 2:30 --- by 3:00 my ears were already sunny side up.. I did not wear ear plugs. :crazy

However my wife took the kids to visit her mom today --- so I was home alone -- and I did get to open her up :D

All I can say is that you are in for a treat my friend when your amp finally arrives --- It is truly a remarkable amp.

8. gregc

gregc Member

That amp sounded GREAT at the show. You've got one killer amp there, Pal! I'm glad you're enjoying it. Remember, there's a learning curve with every new purchase. You need to learn to play an amp the same way you learn to play a new guitar.

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting one of these Bludo's as so many of the folks whose ears I really trust have been swearing by these as of late... from awsome cleans to great lead tones. My interest has been piqued. If I do decide for one, would you, Mr.LVC, be awfully offended if I went for the same style of suade finish? :)

10. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Yep and this one has many secrets and nuances yet to be discovered.

It sounds killer --- I mean killer with my teles. It sounded great with every single guitar I played through it today --- but man does this amp love teles.

11. voodoosound

Don't forget to plug into the FET input. That can be used for a whole new variety of tones. Smoother still so I have found.

12. LVC

LVC Senior Member

mmmmmm... need to check with my attorney, might have to charge you some design licensing fees :crazyguy

All kidding aside the pictures do not do it justice. You will love the tobacco suede. I think it gives the amp a more accurate historical look.

Laz

13. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Normally I'd agree... However, with Brandon's amps you don't need to be plugged into the FET to get full-on crazy good OD.

14. voodoosound

Yes, I know. I still recommend it for both the clean and the OD trust me more tones to be found.

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Laz,

Lets see some more pictures! haha.

Best,

Marko M.

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I was disappointed that the one time I could even get in the room, guys were demoing Zen and other Dumble style pedals !!!!

So I never got to hear the Bludo .... :(

17. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Congrats to you.
    Great amps, glad you found the magic.

18. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I will later tonight --- you've got to see the size of the iron in this thing ..... Big is the understatement of the year.

Played it for a bit during lunch --- and boy is she sweet!!!!!!! Every time I play it I hear new colors and textures ... especially now that my hearing is almost back (need to remember to wear ear plugs at the next amp show).

19. gec78221

gec78221 Supporting Member

What's the tonal difference between the 6L6 & EL34 Bludotone?

20. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Laz,

How long was your wait?