Blue Angel - more tweedy or more blackfacey?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by phyrexia, Feb 6, 2008.

1. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

Hi. Does anyone know if the Mesa Blue Angel, when using only 6V6s, sounds more like a tweed amp or a blackface amp?

Thanks,
    Victor

2. joejazzguitar

joejazzguitar Silver Supporting Member

I had a 2x10 combo, and when running just the 6V6's, it didn't sound like either a blackface OR a tweed to me....I found the overdrive with just those tubes kind of unpleasant - very farty and weak.

The clean sound in 6V6 mode was not at all inspiring - it didn't have the shimmer of a good blackface, nor did it have the complexity of a good tweed...

just sayin'.....

3. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

I have heard many complaints about the 2x10 setup, and very few about the 1x12 and 4x10 combos.

Anyone else?

4. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I owned a custom blonde/wheat 4x10 when they first came out. I found it to be very blackface-like, but think Princeton Reverb on steroids not Super Reverb. It was a great amp, but my ear wandered and it has been a spectacular journey.

5. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

I had a 4x10 for a while too . Sort of black face but way too much noise that my amp tech could not remove .

6. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

The main problem with running anything other than all six tubes is the impedance mismatch. When you're running the pair of 6V6s only, the amp wants to see about three times the marked load - so the 4-ohm jack wants to see about 12 ohms, the 8-ohm jack about 24 ohms, etc.

With the EL84s only, it's roughly a factor of two.

The amp is not tweedlike at all. Much more like a BF, but it also has a TON of negative feedback. Just changing the NFB resistor to a more blackface value really opens the amp up.

The noise is due to the two cascaded gain stages after the volume pot - like a Trainwreck, these are essentially wide-open and hiss is the result.

7. Curly

Curly Member

I agree .. the tone knobs act in a much different way, according to the manual, and IMO, and it IS supposed to be class A which makes a difference too.
    agreed on that too, and a notable lack of bass, especially compared to say a tweed Deluxe. I have the 1x12 combo though ... I think the head/ cab def has a better bottom.

8. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

It's just a standard Fender BF/SF, but with a 25K mid control. Keep the mids under about 10:00 and the tone stack is pure Fender...in 'bright' mode. 'Fat' mode broadens the bandwidth of the treble control.

It's not class A, but it's pretty close. Actually, with the exception of the switchable power tubes, it's about 95% identical to the rhythm channel of the Maverick. The reverb is different (better), there's no master volume, and the bright/fat works a little differently...but otherwise it's the same circuit.

9. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

i love my 1x12 BA.

The amp has a unique voice which is really cool. Not Vox, not BF, not tweed. However I don't care for it that much when it overdrives...but the cleans/semi-cleans are great. I play most of my gigs except for the outdoor ones with it.

Some improvments I've made are:
    New non Mesa Tubes
    A Weber 30 watt Silver Bell front mounted
    I took the back panel off
    A Bugle Boy 12ax7 in v1 and a 5751 in v2

10. Miles

Miles Member

What?

can someone explain this further as it sounds pretty 'out there' to me.

11. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I don't know about what I'd classify it as, tweed or blackfacey. It's got a tighter bottom end than tweeds, but a whole lot of mids, especially upper. Not a whole lot of high treble, in fact it's quite dark. It's all about the mids with the blue angel.

I was previously convinced that I preferred lower gain preamp tubes with my blue angel, but I just put all 12ax7's in mine (except for the v3 and v4 reverb tubes) and played it with the volume way up to 3:00 in combined el84 and 6v6 mode. Holy crap, that's some seriously aggressive tone (fat switch on, treble at 1:30, mids and bass at 10:00). With the reverb up pretty high it was quite beautiful. My les paul kills with it.

12. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

While not exactly bing one or the other, I'd say it sounds and feels more like a tweed than any blackface I've ever played, regardless of what output setup you're using. Mine's a 2x10 combo. The amp is quiet enough as it is, I tend not to run it in 6v6 mode. The only major difference I hear is it starts to break up earlier on the amp's volume dial in 6v6 only mode (even when set for the proper impedance), Otherwise, largely the same amp.

13. Miles

Miles Member

The Blue Angel, to me sounds like the midrange clarity and response of an AC30 with the tubbiness and low end of a fender, kind of ampeg-ish even.

I love mine, and yeah, it has TONS of mids.

14. Peppy

Peppy Member

Have you ever A/Bed your 2 X 10" vs. the 1 X 12"?

15. bynt

bynt Member

My expierience 100%

16. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Funny, I love it overdriven. Especially when it's in 38 watt mode and fat switch is on. Loud, fat and crunchy and mixed with some of that reverb it's a very cool sound. Alnico weber blue dogs help a ton in this experience.

17. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Bump for more talk on this wicked amp that I've rebonded with. Pedals you like with it?

It seems to really take well to a clean boost. Also works nicely with fuzzface type fuzzes.

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm like that every morning without amplification.

19. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I have the 2x10 with eminence alnico 20 watt speakers. I really like these speakers, but NOT with this amp. So I run the Blue Angel out 2x12's with Greenbacks and/or alnico weber blue dogs. Much better. I should really put my blue angel into a head cab.

I'm also really enjoying the combined tube setting. I used to use just the el84's most of the time, but mixing the 6v6's in there loosens up the lower mids and adds some subtle grind underneath the chime of the el84's.
    :drink

20. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

I'ma gonna have to pick one up.