Blue Boy into Timmy ... YES

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by David-R, Feb 1, 2006.

1. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

Spent a few minutes last night playing around with my Timmy and my recently acquired MI Audio Blue Boy. Ran them into my Carr Mercury.

Man, the Timmy in uncompressed mode is a killer OD pedal. Vol at 12:00, all the other knobs at 2:00. It's a thing of beauty.

The Blue Boy seems to also be a great OD pedal. It does not thin my tone at all. IMO it's a medium gain pedal, not a low gain pedal. It does compress somewhat but I like (need) some compression especially when playing solos. The Blue Boy can be a little tough to dial in as small adjustments to the internal trimmers make huge differences in the tone of the pedal. IMO the Blue Boy can do the Zendrive thing pretty well.

Running the the Blue Boy into the Timmy is an incredible lead tone!

2. eknapier

eknapier Member

From my experience, pretty much running anything into the Timmy is incredible: takes Tubescreamers, Rats, even Big Muffs and leaves the original tone from the first pedal pretty much intact, just adding a little boost, or a little sparkle, or a little compression, whatever is needed...

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I just got a Blue Boy sans manual... can you tell which internal trimmer does what David-R? Thanks!

4. David-R

Mine didn't have a manual either. The trimmer that's off by itself is the character control - bass, pre-overdrive. The 2 that are next to each other are the brightness and voicing (midrange). I can't remember which is which but you should be able to tell quickly by playing with them.

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Hey Rich tell me what you think about the Blue Boy. I can't see it being better than the Blues Pro, the Blues Pro is hard to beat. Plus I don't think I would like having all them trimmers inside, because I would constantly be messing with the trimmer, and I would probably never be happy.. I think the Blues Pro is a class act and it on my board. Got my second TIM today, and it's mint, the guy traded me for the Zendrive. For me there is no better pedal than the TIM..

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Shane,
    Can you please compare the Zen and the Tim? I thought you were digg'in your Zen there for a while. Maybe I am wrong?

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I was when I first got it, but then I started compairing it with the Tim, and the Timmy, and it could not hold a candle. Plus the Zendrive cannot do a clean boost at all, and the TIM, TIMMY do awesome clean boost. The deal breaker with me is that on the Zen, if you turn down the gain below 9:00 the signal gets thin and weak. Plus the Zen has one sound and thats about it.. There is no better pedal than the TIM, or TIMMY..

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

8. fast ricky love

Hey Shane, I need to sit with the Blue Boy a bit more now that I understand which internal trimmer is which... but so far here's how they compare to me:

1. Timmy - Still king. I tried the 4558 Op Amp like you suggested and you were right! Really awesome with that. The LM1458 was cool but ultimately it removed a bit too much edge for me so I'm liking the 4558 better. The Timmy sounds more open and because of that, makes the amp sound less focused. It has a complexity to it's tone that just brings out a bit more chime and sweetness. The best.

2. Blues Pro - Pretty damn close to the Timmy, but not as open and as a result makes the amp sound more focused. I run the Timmy with one dip switch down (asymmetrical clipping) so compression-wise there they're similar. I like the bass tone better on the Timmy too. Still this is a very cool pedal and I'll probably keep it as a back up. I like the high gain on this pedal better than the Timmy, but I don't really go there ever.

3. Blue Boy - Real close to the Blues Pro. Like I said I have to spend more time with it, but since they're so similar the simple 3 outer knobs of the Pro get the nod. My Pro sounded fuller/richer than the BB. I've heard that the BB doesn't have the bass of the Pro, maybe that's why the Pro sounded fuller to me...? Still gotta twiddle with it...

I really don't see enough of a difference to justify getting the BB if you like your Pro basically.

9. fast ricky love

Thanks!

10. drolling

drolling Member

I've said this before, IMO, Zendrive's a one-trick-pony- Real nice trick, tho'..smooth, creamy lead tones, but not versatile like Timmy (still waiting for my Tim) ZD doesn't really clean up and do the boost thing as well, and its thick midrangey voicing just doesn't work w/chords for me.

But it really comes down to taste - a very personal & subjective thing. I'll be keeping my Zen, but the knobs are pretty much crazy-glued to a sweet spot.

Haven't tried the Blues Boy, but I did just recieve a Blues Pro, and it stacks VERY well w/Timmy. Tons of useful, musical tones to be had, running into my my old fender & vox non-master amps...

11. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Can someone show us a 'gut shot' of the Tim/Timmy?

I'm curious what's actually in there given he said there's not a lot.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the comparison guys!

13. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I just got a Blue Boy in the mail today! (thanks paul p). It has the manual. My desktop died a few weeks ago, but if I can hook up my scanner to my laptop, I'll scan and send it to whoever wants one. Just email me at gregorycharlton at msn dot com, and let me know.

14. fast ricky love

Awesome grego, you've got mail! :)

15. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Emailed the manual to those who requested. Sorry, it's a bit of a big file (1.8mb), but it automatically save to a pdf file when I scanned it. If it's unmanageable let me know and I can try something else.

16. David-R

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've owned a Blue Boy for over a year now, and it's one pedal that I just don't want to sell (I've sold plenty others). It's not always on my board, but I keep rediscovering it and putting it back on.

I find the BB to be extremely tweakable. The internal trimpots and the ability to swap opamps makes this the most verstile pedal I've ever owned. Best yet, since the trimpots are inside, it's sort of a set/forget and 100% of my time is working the 3 simple external pots, making this as simple as any other pedal to use. Compare the usability of the BB to something like Fulltone's Distortion Pro for instance - the BB is a breeze to use (plus it doesn't sound like crap - another important distinction!).

I've just acquired a bunch of new opamps, so I've gotta break the BB out of storage and try 'em out. I've had great luck with the Burr-Brown chip in the past. I want to get the best opamp in there, tweak it, then compare it to other pedals I've bought in the past few months. It might be the case that the BB will replace my Zen, who knows?

18. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I'd be interested in how the Burr-Brown sounds. Are there different versions of that one? Someone else mentioned they sounded muddy so...

19. erksin

erksin Member

I *REALLY* like the LM833 in the Blue Boy - opens up the pedal without losing that nice upper mid thang it has going on with the stock chip.

I've never owned a Zen, but I did have a Mosferatu and the BB at the same time. I loved the Mos when I first owned it, but after comparing it with the BB for a few weeks the BB was the one that stayed. It just has this fantastic 'rosined violin bow' pick attack that I really dig, and had more chording clarity too.

20. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I have the Burr-Brown OPA2604 in there now I think - it's been a while. I was thinking about laying down some looper tracks so that I can compare the differnent opamps in more of a "real-time" a/b comparison. I recall the Burr-Brown really being voiced nicely for this pedal. It's more expensive than most other opamps and I also recall reading some electronics-geek thread somewhere on the 'net where the Burr-Brown was considered to be the most tube-like of the available opamps.

Who knows? You gotta use your ears!!