Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar is out, and it's legit!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by metropolis_4, Mar 14, 2019.

1. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I downloaded a demo of this out of curiosity.

10 minutes later I was pulling out my credit card and filling out order forms as fast as I could!!

This might be one of those rare things that comes along and becomes a complete game changer for me. It completely exceeded my expectations.

First, I'm always looking for ways to sneak acoustic tones out of my electric for gigs. This is hands down the most convincing thing I've ever heard for acoustic tones. I will probably never bring an acoustic guitar to a gig again after hearing the tones coming out of this with my trusty Strat. It sounds better than a lot of acoustic guitars I've heard!

Second, the pickup emulations. Really, really, really useful tones for any situation I can think of in there. I'm not interested in how exactly they match "the real thing", from a usable tone perspective they are fantastic. More than enough options that sound superb to turn any guitar into a total Swiss army knife of tone! I love the option to adjust brightness and gain as well as volume and tone.

Third, the Hollow Body feature and its controls are a really nice touch. And way more useful than I thought they might be. I get a lot of gigs where there's ~1 song that calls for an archtop. And I always hate having to drag that thing along just for that one song. This solves that problem in spades for me.

With this software, I can't imagine ever needing to bring more than my Strat and my Godin MultiAC Nylon to any gig I'll ever play.

@Blue Cat Audio Well done!

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_ReGuitar/

2. journo

journo Member

Just finished a tune recorded with just Axiom (many tracks with Re-Guitar) for all guitars and the bass.

Cheers,

Mats N

mchad, PaisleyWookie, kyolic and 4 others like this.
  3. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Ah shoot... I'm gonna have to go download Axiom now so I can check it out! :)

Love the track! Nice work

4. Ejay

Ejay Supporting Member

Plz delete this thread...If my girlfriend finds out about this stuff im screwed...how am I gonna explain buyin that new guitar?

5. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
  6. rmg471

rmg471 Member

I got it through a free Axiom update and it really is quite good! I really like Axiom.

Blue Cat Audio likes this.
  7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

So you have to bring a laptop to a gig?

8. asintoras

asintoras Member

I heard the demos and must say I am not impressed by it... Don't know, maybe I am too picky, but those tones will not convince me to not bring other guitars on my gigs.

Jose7822 likes this.
  9. Blue Cat Audio

Blue Cat Audio Member

Thanks for mentioning our plug-in. Glad that you like it!

sedawkgrep and metropolis_4 like this.
  10. Blue Cat Audio

Blue Cat Audio Member

Have you listened to these Re-Guitaring demos here and here?

Guitar tone is a very subjective thing, so you may want to try the demo and hear how it sounds with your own guitar and fingers :).

DonnieRiddle likes this.
  11. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Don't have to, I choose to

To each their own. Have you actually tried it, or have you only listened to demos online?

There's a free demo that's easy to download

Blue Cat Audio likes this.
  12. asintoras

asintoras Member

Yes, I did, and before my first comment. But it is true, I should try it myself with my own guitars. But I have a hollowbody jazz guitar (in my avatar) but those videos of a jazz guitar sounded to me like when you turn the tone knob down to 1 or so on a solidbody guitar. It's not quite the same... And the acoustic, although it does a decent job within a band mix, still sounds like an electric guitar to me.

I would be happy to use it with a laptop if the tones are really good, so I could only use my favourite solid body guitar (my 68' SG Special). Will give it a try, but am still sceptic about it judging from the videos.

I can get some convincing Telecaster tones out of my SG when using a treble booster, or even some strat tones, and the natural tone is not far from a humbucker in terms of gain. By turning the tone knob down I could get a jazzy tone, perhaps almost as good as what I could get with this plugin... I will check it out and will come back with some thoughts.

13. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

An SG with a treble booster is a convincing enough Telecaster tone for you, but the tones of this plugin are not convincing enough? :huh

Sounds like you should give it a try in person, with your own gear. I'm thinking you might find the Tele pickup in here with your SG a bit closer to a Telecaster than a treble booster :phones

Viabcroce and guitarobert like this.
  14. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

As someone who just ordered a GP-10, I'm curious; does this do alternate tunings? Does it work better if fed one type of pickup vs. another? Regardless, this is really cool. Definitely have to check it out.

LordByron likes this.
  15. asintoras

asintoras Member

Well, this is me with my SG and my treble booster:

I don't think it's too bad, and I prefer to have a pedal in my pedalboard that I can use for other purposes as well, than to bring a laptop (and all the risk associated with it) just to approximate the tone. I am in the middle of a project submittal so will not have the time to test the plugin until a few more days, but will keep you guys posted.

Kuron, JiveTurkey, yeky83 and 2 others like this.
  16. JoeInOttawa

JoeInOttawa Member

How would you use this live?

17. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I think it's great! Nicely done :)

Well that's a whole different topic. If I was running a pedalbard + amp rig, I wouldn't bring a laptop along just to approximate a specific tone either. I'm generally using the laptop for my whole rig, so this makes sense for my rig.

I wouldn't want to have to bring along an extra pedal just to approximate something I could use my laptop for :D

With a laptop

My standard live rig these days consists of a Helix + a MacBook. So for my uses this fits right in with everything else.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    yeky83, Blue Cat Audio and asintoras like this.
  18. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Nothing can accomplish alternate tuning without a divided pickup ( GP-10 with (crucial but rare) correctly installed GK-3 hex PU) excels in alternate tunings)

LordByron likes this.
  19. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Doesn't do alternate tunings.

I've tried it with Strat and Tele pickups. My "humbucker" guitar is currently a Strat with EMG SAVX's and an SPC, so maybe not the best example. I feel like I get the best results from my Strat pickups, but all three work well

20. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Didn't think it would, but with stuff like MIDI Guitar out there sensing each string individually, you never know.