blue collar or fish factory?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by loveanddag, Nov 19, 2005.

1. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

I really want a blue collar for just my standard od sound. however, the red snapper sounds like it would be an amzing sounding pedal. (i know the blue collar sounds good). so basically im asking, is the presence knob on the blue collar worth it? will i be satisfied with the fish factory even tho neither side has the presence? (bite, cut, whatever its called)

2. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

The Blue Collar and Red Snapper are very different sounding pedals. So, imo, it makes sense to get the Fish Factory if you think you'd use both pedals. From my experience, it really matters what amp you're going to use the Red Snapper with. It sounds amazing with a Dr. Z Route 66, for example. Sounds like sh*t with a Tone King Meteor. So what's your rig?

As for control knobs, I actually hadn't compared to see what the FF offers that the individual pedals don't.

Jeff

3. FUSER

FUSER Member

With both sides on how much gain can one have without going mushy?

4. jcshirke

I have both pedals as separate units. I don't own the FF. Sorry for the confusion.

Jeff

5. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

im usually running a strat through a hot rod deville 410.

6. jcshirke

I don't know exactly how the Red Snapper will interact with your amp. It could sound great, for all I know. But with a Tone King Meteor I (haven't tried the Snapper with my Meteor II yet), it really sounds bad. The Meteor is not a very pedal friendly amp...it takes some pedals well, and hates others. Your Deville may be more pedal friendly.

Bottom line: The Red Snapper tends to be more transparent and 808-like. The Blue Collar offers a different sound--typically described as Marshall-like, and colors your tone more. Either (or both) could sound great with your amp. I say go for the FF.

Jeff

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

I have a Fish Factory. I absolutely love it - it's my main od/dist now, after years of using the Fulltone Fulldrive II. I have the RS side set at: tone at unity level, volume slightly boosted, with the drive about halfway - the amount of crunch is very touch responsive this way. The BC side I have the tone and volume on the same setting as the RS but the drive maxxed. And I happen to love the sound of both sides running together.

FWIW, I don't miss having the extra knob that the free-standing RS & BC have

8. loveanddag

loveanddag Member

are these nice pedals or would i benfit more from just getting something like a zendrive or eternity or something?

9. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

The Blue Collar is a ballsy pedal....it's been my main overdrive for a few years now.....the build quality looks even better on the newer versions......mine has been amazing......i don't find that the BC has a whole lot of versatility.....so the fish factory might be a great choice........i'm a big fan of the menatone stuff.....my roomate swears by their trem........i had their howie for a while and sold it to a friend because i couldn't find a use for 2 overdrives.......the howie might be a good one to check into also........the howie is very versatile and can get pretty aggressive too

10. jcshirke

If it turns out you are interested in a Howie, mine is for sale (new 6 knob). Sorry for the thread hijack, but I couldn't resist the temptation.

The Howie definitely has its own tone happening, as you probably know. It's a two channel pedal (regular and boost modes), very smooth and Dumble-ish.

Jeff