1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Blue Groove ... slide tune

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by KirkLorange, Oct 9, 2005.

1. KirkLorange

KirkLorange Member

2. Normster

Normster Member

Good to hear from you again, Kirk! I love this tune. I'll stash the backing for another time...for now I'm just diggin' your playing!!!:dude

3. KirkLorange

KirkLorange Member

Thanks, Normster. I've been really busy these days, mostly working on the DVD ... I'm getting there with it, also making sure I do my 'Weekly Lesson' at Guitar for Beginners and Beyond. This week's is Moondance, check it out:

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/moond/index.shtml

Cheers,

Kirk

4. Normster

Normster Member

That's a cool lesson, Kirk. Way different from the way I usually approach the song...which is a good thing. :D

5. fig

fig Member

Hi Kirk -

I really like your slide playing. Good backing as well!

Here's my take . . .

blue groove take

6. Normster

Normster Member

Mighty fine playing, Greg...and your tone is killing me! :dude

7. fig

fig Member

Thank you, Norm. I really appreciate your comment. :)
    Yeah, the tone ain't too bad . . :D

8. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

Kirk,

Your playing is very cool. Some of my favorite.

Very bubbly.

9. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Killer slide! And even killerer tone!! What were you using for gear? I was going to ask what tuning you used until I reread your post...standard or drop D?

I'm just getting back into playing some slide and picked up a lap steel (very cool but still clueless, lol) so this is especially intriguing to me....choice of tunings has me a little twisted.

Wonderfully melodic playing...no gratuitous wanking.

Thanks for posting this.

Michael

10. KirkLorange

KirkLorange Member

Thanks, Michael.

I was in dropped D, just the bass string down, and I went through my lttle Digitech RP100, believe it or not. It's got 99 ugly sounds, 1 good one!

Heavy strings, heavy slide ... that's where most of the tone comes from.

As for tunings, I often point out that standard is in fact several 'mini-open' tunings all rolled into one: major, major7, minor, minor7, 9th, sus4, 11th, 7th, augmented, diminished ... they're all there if you know where to look, and you're still in good old familiar standard. Dropping the bass string adds that extra power-chord to the mix. I'm in fact in the middle of doing a DVD on the subject.

Cheers, many more tracks at http://www.soundclick.com/kirklorange

Kirk

11. allthumbs

allthumbs Member