Blue Jr version IV vs Princeton 68 Custom

Shades of Blue

Silver Supporting Member
Current Rig: Marshall Origin 20 head and cab. Just sold an HX Stomp last week and mildly regret letting it go. Still have a Powercab as well. The only pedal I have right now is a Timmy that is incoming.

Current Needs: Fun and easy plug and play option where I am not fiddling with patches and knobs. I don't get much time to play (sometimes 15 min at the most) and I just need to be able to grab a guitar and let loose for a few minutes.

I'm getting ready to get another Fender tube amp and I am waffling a bit on what I want. My needs are simply to have a small home friendly combo amp with great cleans and reverb. This amp will do nothing more than be a quick plug and play option for playing along with music or playing along with my daughter when she plays acoustic.

Pros for the Blues Jr: Definitely the ability to get breakup at lower volumes, nice EL84 thing going on because I dig EL84 chime, and it takes pedals really well IME.

Pros for the PRRI 68: Pristine cleans, more Fender-esque sound, reverb quality and tremolo.

I'll be perfectly honest with you guys. The only thing keeping me from buying a BJIV is the stigma around them. The fact that they fart when driven and people seem to snub their nose at them. This isn't so much a sign that I care what anyone thinks, but more the fact of "am I missing something," because I have always had good experiences with Blues Jrs. I also think they sound like Fenders to be honest, and remind me of a SRV sort of sound to be honest.

Which would you choose? Or would you buy another HX Stomp?

Jim85IROC

Silver Supporting Member
If you've used Blues Jrs and they do what you want them to, then it seems like there's no reason not to get one.

Another option is to kind of "meet in the middle" and grab one of the tweed Blues Jrs. With the Jensen speaker, they sound a lot more "fender-y" to me, but otherwise do all the things a normal Blues Jr. does.

Kojack19

Gold Supporting Member
I had a blues junior once. it was a nice little amp but there were some things that I just could not get over with it-spent some money and time on mods but ultimately it just was not my thing. I have a princeton with a celestion gold in it and is a great amp. Fender cleans and takes all sorts of pedals well. It is a bigger investment but worth it in my opinion. I do really think the gold adds a lot to this amp-especially if you stay with a 10 inch speaker.

Joe L

Silver Supporting Member
I had a blues junior once. it was a nice little amp but there were some things that I just could not get over with it-spent some money and time on mods but ultimately it just was not my thing. I have a princeton with a celestion gold in it and is a great amp. Fender cleans and takes all sorts of pedals well. It is a bigger investment but worth it in my opinion. I do really think the gold adds a lot to this amp-especially if you stay with a 10 inch speaker.
I also have an older BJ modded by BillM and runs a CRex Speaker and runs 6V6s..I also have a PRRI loaded with a Celestion Gold 10.... I always play the PRRI and the BJ just sits...but also is a very nice amp.. I just hooked on classic Fendee cleans.

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Current Rig: Marshall Origin 20 head and cab. Just sold an HX Stomp last week and mildly regret letting it go. Still have a Powercab as well. The only pedal I have right now is a Timmy that is incoming.

Current Needs: Fun and easy plug and play option where I am not fiddling with patches and knobs. I don't get much time to play (sometimes 15 min at the most) and I just need to be able to grab a guitar and let loose for a few minutes.

I'm getting ready to get another Fender tube amp and I am waffling a bit on what I want. My needs are simply to have a small home friendly combo amp with great cleans and reverb. This amp will do nothing more than be a quick plug and play option for playing along with music or playing along with my daughter when she plays acoustic.

Pros for the Blues Jr: Definitely the ability to get breakup at lower volumes, nice EL84 thing going on because I dig EL84 chime, and it takes pedals really well IME.

Pros for the PRRI 68: Pristine cleans, more Fender-esque sound, reverb quality and tremolo.

I'll be perfectly honest with you guys. The only thing keeping me from buying a BJIV is the stigma around them. The fact that they fart when driven and people seem to snub their nose at them. This isn't so much a sign that I care what anyone thinks, but more the fact of "am I missing something," because I have always had good experiences with Blues Jrs. I also think they sound like Fenders to be honest, and remind me of a SRV sort of sound to be honest.

Blues Juniors are great amps! With ****** cabinets. If it were pine I 'might' have kept mine

Get a Princeton!

harvey j

Blues Juniors are great amps! With ****** cabinets. If it were pine I 'might' have kept mine

Get a Princeton!
The Princeton, reminded me why i dis like the Fender chime, With my tele the highs are just over the top, even worst if you get an alnico speaker. Also the Princeton has a tube driven reverb, but i find it to be hollow sounding, the jr really accents the tone of the reverb better, the add mid control is also a plus, a C rex speaker can make the jr into a good sounding amp, if you find it to bright.

Guitartim

I also have an older BJ modded by BillM and runs a CRex Speaker and runs 6V6s..I also have a PRRI loaded with a Celestion Gold 10.... I always play the PRRI and the BJ just sits...but also is a very nice amp.. I just hooked on classic Fendee cleans.

What mod did you do to run 6V6's?

Ps28

I don't even consider the BJ in the same league as the PR. I would go for the PR.

My needs are simply to have a small home friendly combo amp with great cleans and reverb. This amp will do nothing more than be a quick plug and play option for playing along with music or playing along with my daughter when she plays acoustic.

I have a 68 Custom PR, and had a BJr. They're really quite different from one another. While the 68 Princeton breaks up faster than a 65, it's still really loud by the time it gets crunchy. The BJ is much more controllable in that respect. However the BJ's reverb is really weak compared to the Princeton, but unless you're addicted to surf music, it will work fine.

At the end of the day, the BJ would be my choice for home use.

Axe-Man

Play whatever sounds good to you. If we all followed TGP darling trends, we’d all just own Two Rocks and Fractal modellers! ;)

I’ve been tempted to pickup the BJ IV. It sounded great in the Anderson’s demo. Packs plenty of bang for very little bucks. Just add a BE-OD Deluxe and a delay. :cool:

Emigre

I have a 68 Princeton and love the little thing. It sounds amazing clean and pairs great wth my TS and RAT.

The few times I’ve plugged into a BJr at a store it didn’t do anything for me.

Of course everyone’s ears are different.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member

princeton all day. pedal if you need more gain.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom