• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Blue note

Caprica

Dumb question, but what circuit is the J Rocket Bluenote based on?

Is it yet another bluesbreaker clone?

Drak

Quoted from an older thread here and agreed with by another owner in the thread.

"Im sure the Bluenote has some similarities with the TS circuit but I thought Rockett said its more in line the a Timmy design than TS.
Either way its a great OD pedal."

songtalk

Quoted from an older thread here and agreed with by another owner in the thread.

"Im sure the Bluenote has some similarities with the TS circuit but I thought Rockett said its more in line the a Timmy design than TS.
Either way its a great OD pedal."

Timmy is a modified TS circuit.

TrevorW

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely a TS type pedal, Mid hump with some compression. Great pedal.

songtalk

No - while it's a simple design, it was designed from the ground up starting as a plain opamp booster. It never came from building/tweaking a ts.

PaulC
Timmy pedals

I hear ya Paul. I didn't mean to imply your pedal was a rip off or a minor tweak. It's just a very similar beast to me and seemingly others. It kind of sounds a lot like a TS with Bass and Treble cut knobs, but hey, what do I know. I fundamentally believe if you use the JRC4558 chip at any point, you borrow TS dna. Hell, OP amp based designs all owe a lot to Tubescreamers in some philosophical sense.

I am sorry if my post seemed dismissive or rude to you, but I was just trying to explain how one person's "ironic jab" could be easily interpreted as truth simply by looking under the hood of many pedals. While in fact, the history and reality are obviously more compicated/nuanced.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I hear ya Paul. I didn't mean to imply your pedal was a rip off or a minor tweak. It's just a very similar beast to me and seemingly others. It kind of sounds a lot like a TS with Bass and Treble cut knobs, but hey, what do I know. I fundamentally believe if you use the JRC4558 chip at any point, you borrow TS dna. Hell, OP amp based designs all owe a lot to Tubescreamers in some philosophical sense.

I am sorry if my post seemed dismissive or rude to you, but I was just trying to explain how one person's "ironic jab" could be easily interpreted as truth simply by looking under the hood of many pedals. While in fact, the history and reality are obviously more compicated/nuanced.
I like the Timmy a lot more than any TS variants I've ever played.

-bEn r.

PaulC

Well - I don't use a JRC4558. I use a JRC4559 so it's at least one digit different!! But really if I had to say what it looks like the most to me I'd have to say some sort of rat thing. Like the Rat it's got a shelf response at the gain stage (but variable in the timmy) followed by a similar variable 1st order after the clipping opamp. Change the clippers from voltage clamps to current clamps and change the output buffer to a flat gain stage to get the level up, but still buffer the volume control from the treble control. So a louder Rat with soft clipping and bass control. But of course I'd still deny that and say it started life as a clean booster (which then means a modded micro amp...) and had clamps added so it wouldn't get into nasty rail clipping. Then added pre/post tone controls so it could still be set flat for boosting while being able to shape the tone around the clippers. The bass control was an attempt to make a shelf response to sort of mimic that low end floor you get from jumping channels on a plexi. Then add an output stage to really get the clean boosting job done.

PaulC
Timmy pedals

Last edited:

Pazz

Shhhhhh! Don't ruin the magic. Just enjoy.......

To try to get us somewhat back on topic, everytime I think I need a Bluenote I play my Timmy and I get what I want out of the Timmy. But the Bluenote is highly respected around here. Timmy, Bluenote and Lightspeed seem to be the most popular low drive sound enhancement pedals out there.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
I fundamentally believe if you use the JRC4558 chip at any point, you borrow TS dna.
Are all songs with an E chord in them the same? Op Amps are general purpose chips, designed to be designed into a variety of devices, very few of them musical in nature. The circuit wrapped around an op amp is way more important than the exact chip used.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom