Blue Oyster Cult fans!! Gear question.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ce24fan, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ce24fan

ce24fan Member

Ok, so what gear (specifically amps) did Buck Dharma use to get the "classic " BOC sounds of the seventies? I know he played some SGs, Modded LPs, and other custom creations but not much is talked about amp and effects wise. At one time, i heard he was a Mesa Boogie user. Can anyone shed light on this?

2. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

3. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

That brutally long sustained note in "Don't Fear the Reaper" sure sounded like Boogie Mark I or IIc to me.

4. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

I've seen them a bunch and it always looks like Marshalls on stage.... But then again, they might have a little Princeton miked up in the back (Frampton did).

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I'm pretty sure the early stuff is cranked Fenders at least on the LPs. Boogie later.

6. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

Coincidence: I was at university w/ Jerry Bouchard in the 70's. He was from a small town near St. Lawrence. His two older brothers Al and Joe brought Buck up from the city many times to play frat parties and bar gigs in the Adirondack region of upstate New York. At first, they were playing through little acoustic amps for awhile, but they were quickly replaced by Marshall(s). They were so loud at one beer blast that the frat got complaints from nearby dairy farms about the cows being spooked.

Fondest memory: Laser Light Shows before they kept them out of our eyes. Remember?

Drunkest memory: I played Buck's D-35 while Jerry played his red SG. We were both just learning at the time. Buck told me not to change my major. I was in a Graduate Math program and had no muse at all... yet.

MrLahey, ce24fan and Sam Karnatz like this.
  7. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Bloom spoke of the 1st album on FB a few years ago, for the most part they used their stage amps, HiWatt for him and Marshall for Buck. Joe used a small amp that the studio owned. He did say that Gibson donated "a pile" of Maestro equipment, but he was pretty sure it was mostly used on "Screams" and "Telescopes". Allen may have played a Twin, but he admitted he was guessing.

8. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Love that note

:dude

ce24fan likes this.
  9. PacNWGuitars

PacNWGuitars Member

He said that on most of the Agents of Fortune was a Music Man 4x10 and a Fender Twin.

I know that live I've seen them use Marshalls, Crate Blue and Red Voodoo, different rack preamps like the ART Power Plant and Rocktron Piranha and Line-6 POD. I think they mostly use rental amps on the road, but I'm not sure. Don't think they tour with three semi-trucks anymore.

:dunno

10. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

I've seen them about ten times and first got into them when Secret Treaties was the NEW album.

Back then, the early days, Buck used all Marshall. I dont know when they switched. Sometime in the early 80s he stopped using the Gibsons and was using this oddball shaped psuedo-firebird looking custom thing... I think it was from an italian luthier. I think it got stolen later, along with the early cherry red SG that got refinished white and was used for probably every show for the first several years.

The last time I saw them... his sound was terrible. Probably an issue with the mixing board, but, I never liked the sound of his steinbergers, and the last concert I saw, he had the delay and reverb from a rack mount Quadraverb turned up so loud it sounded like mud.

Everybody has a bad night I guess.

One of the first guitar leads I managed to learn note for note was Bucks "Stairway to the Stars".

11. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

"Three thousand guitars, they seem to cry"....

Cities on Flame, BOC.

MrLahey and DV52 like this.
  12. wrong_note_rod

wrong_note_rod Member

MARSHALL WILL, BOY, BUT FENDER CONTROL!

who knows, maybe he used a strat on that one...

scott944 likes this.
  13. standard24

standard24 Member

I saw BOC last Friday, and I've probably seen them 20 times. That note is played by Eric Bloom, using an Ebow.

14. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

"But then again, they might have a little Princeton miked up in the back (Frampton did)."

I thought Frampton had an old Ampeg hidden away?

Blue Light likes this.
  15. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

It's am ebow

16. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Come on... We all know it was cowbell!

17. scott944

scott944 Member

Beat me to it!