Blue Tail

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Thor, May 17, 2008.

1. Thor

Thor Member

Just a happy review of the Lizard Leg Effects Blue Tail bass booster. First off, Kudos to Steve and his family who own and run LLE - really great folks who take great pride in their work and their service. I was really treated like a rock star right from the start. Great communication, and you can tell that he takes music and effects very seriously.

Right out of the box it's a great looking pedal with a powderblue finish with a sweet lizard graphic, and each pedal is custom finished for the owner (Steve put "Thor's Thunder" on mine - you can see it on the website http://www.lizardlegeffects.com/bluetail.html ). Has AC power or battery option and is nice and small (standard MXR sized box). Some fun swag and a drawstring bag for you pedal came as well. Very nice first impression.

Easy to use - just one knob to adjust. Steve gives you options as to what kind of knob you want - I went with the MXR style knob to make it easier to tweak with a foot. Still need to pick up one of the rubber tires for the knob to make it even easier.

I have had this pedal for several weeks, but had to delay giving a tone report as I had not had a chance to really test the blue tail in a band environment - until last night. HOLY SMOKES!!! It is voiced so well for live application. I simply left it on all night, making subtle tweaks to the knob with my toe. Every time I turned it off, I realized I simply liked my tone better with it on. I ran it right in the front of my signal chain. It really is one of those pedals that makes everything sound better. It pushed my fuzzes in to just a bit more sweet madness. It added a bit more grind to my Fulltone BassDrive in vintage mode. It emphasized the mids, but didn't sacrifice the highs or lows. I played a passive J -style bass (Lakland USA JO 4) into an Eden Metro combo. I think that it added a sort of P-style quality to the sound.

My drummer must have made 3 seperate comments about how good that "new blue pedal" sounded. And he is used to me having a lot of new things, but this is the first that prompted any complements (let alone repeated).

The sweet spot for me is at 12:30 or 1:00, and that it where it lived for most of the time. I would gently ease it back or goose it just a little. I found that it started getting a bit too loose/muddy after 3:00. It does get some grind at 3:00 and above. At 9:00 it's yields a very sublte, but noticible fullness. Very much like the Klon, it is OK at some light OD, but it really excels as a boost, and one that you have a hard time stomping off. The blue tail is now part of "my sound". It hasn't replaced anything, it simple made everything better.

Steve's slogan is "Your sound, just more", and I couldn't agree more.

Thanks again Steve,

Edward/Thor

2. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

Thor,

Glad you like your Blue Tail! If you have any questions, let me know.

Steve

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

A great pedal and a great company to do biz with.

Mine's back for a paint job and I'm missed it at the gig this weekend.

4. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

Bassomatic - thanks! Speaking of your BT - I just got done with it and once it goes through a final test the final labels will be applied. It should be back out to you on Thursday.

5. Thor

Thor Member

Hey Basso,

You still loving the BT? Did you get some special graphics on yours? (would love to see some photos). Mine is here to stay - it stays on at all times now. I can't express how much I love this pedal!

I think that I am going to have to go with a flying dragon for my guitar rig now...

Cheers,

Edward

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

If I'm plugged in, it's on.

Love it - "more me" pedal, no?

7. Lizard Leg

Lizard Leg Member

Bassomatic - Supersized.

What do you get when you cross a Blue Tail and McDonalds?

You, just more.
    :hide