Blue Voodoo 120

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
Also check out the mods that come from the Voodoo "Red Head" that was the sammy hagar edition. Apply these to the blue voodoo to warm it up and make it even better, I think.

Rock on!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
:horse
G12-65's always help the fizzies. Bob
I was going to say the same thing... Especially the WGS ET 65,s. . What a great speaker. And new they are $69 from WGS...much warmer than the Celestion version and 1/3 the price

rockon1

:horse

I was going to say the same thing... Especially the WGS ET 65,s. . What a great speaker. And new they are $69 from WGS...much warmer than the Celestion version and 1/3 the price
Interesting . The ET-65(at least the one I got) is brighter than my G12-65's. Not in a "bad" way but I dont hear it as warmer. More even sounding and not as good at cutting the fuzzies though. Bob

axpro

I did try a 12ay7 in that position as well,it had a touch more gain, but the usability wasn't good. Maybe years ofhigh end boutique amps have "ruined" me, but I can't imagine anyone using this amp stock! Even with the ay7, once the gain gets up to 3/4 the hiss is unbearable... and the 12au7 seems to have the same gain at 10 that the ay7 has at 7.5, so it maxes out at the gain "sweet spot" for this amp. if i switched the first stage/clean to a 5751, the ay7 would end up being needed more, since that first stage would be pushing less.

The gain channel stock on these is a hissy mess... I know what they are trying to do, they are trying to be an SLO, I had 5150 that tried to do the same thing.... the peavey has a far more usable gain channel out of the box, but the cleans were crap. I had a SLO, it sounded great, great cleans, great distortion, and way less noisy than any "SLO inspired" amp.

As to modding the amp further, i dunnno. One or 2 interesting ideas on fixing it have come forward, but they are all pretty involved mods and rebuilds, and I got this as a "get me through the night" sort of amp. I could open it up and recap it with Sozo caps, and use less noisy resistors... but it's still a cheap PC board amp. component placement is going to be an issue, and i am not getting a better worked board to rebuild everything on. LIkewise, transformers.... I could get a mercury or other output transformer that would probably help, and a choke too, but that is too much work for an amp i care this little about.

jp1977

I owned a bv 60 many yrs ago and I hated it, the fizziness u speak of could be due in part to that they used diode clipping for the distortion channel which is why it sounds better with the gain back . I wouldnt spend alot sending it to voodoo or fja as u will never be able to recoup your loss in resale unless u can do the work yourself. Io believe sammy hagar used them also and even had his own red rocker bv.

rockon1

You just have to make sure the bias is correct them crank the thing up! I bet as the power tubes start to saturate the fizzyness dissapears. : > )

Oh you could try more than one low gain tube-two 12AY7's or a 5751 and 12AY7,etc....

Trending Topics