Blue Yeti?

GASattack

According to what Ive heard about it, it IS its own pre-amp.

It has an analog to digital converter built in. It has a headphone amplifier with volume control built in. It has a gain level on it.

Have I used it, no. Have I heard anyone who has used it, no. Ive just read a little about it here and there the past couple weeks maybe.

I would say the only downfall that comes to mind, over a seperate pre-amp, would be having input options. 1/4" guitar inputs and all that.

I dont know how much it means, but, it was THX certified. One would think that is a good thing ....

:dunno

It should work with Reaper, I would say your recording program will see the BLUE Yeti as the input device.

Kevin

TAVD

Guitar Player
Platinum Supporting Member
Are you looking for something to record podcasts and such? It should be fine for that.

zion

Silver Supporting Member
I'm also interested in any TGP members reviews/experiences with the Yeti.

Scott Whigham

I haven't checked it out but my friend Jonathan just blew my mind with the Audio Technica AT2020 - it's basically the same thing (USB mic + converters) for about $30 less. Check out this track which he tracked the vocals and guitar on the AT2020:

http://soundcloud.com/jonathan-r/this-is-war

To me, the sound quality of that is outrageous. Here's what he wrote about the track:
Recorded in my apartment with a friend.

This clip was made with only the following gear.

Audio Technica AT2020 USB Cardioid Condenser
Logic + the built in EQ / Compression + built in shaker loop / cello / piano sounds
Melodyne Autotune
an old beater powerbook I bought for 250 bucks on craigslist, LOL!

All for less than....$700? maybe...
I couldn't believe a USB mic was that good

Peeb

^thanks!

I'm debating between the yeti, the snowball, and the AT2020. The 2020 is the most "conventional", but I've read some really nice things about the yeti.

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member
^thanks!

I'm debating between the yeti, the snowball, and the AT2020. The 2020 is the most "conventional", but I've read some really nice things about the yeti.
The Snowball isn't a bad USB mic at all. I use it for ventrilo, recording regular voice stuff, and for recording acoustic guitar. I'm quite interested in the other two you've mentioned as I've read quite a few good things about them

aziltz

the yeti looks pretty awesome, but its a shame it doesn't have a standard XLR output as well. That would make it a must have for me.

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member
I did a quick search but didn't find one, but I'd be interested in buying a cable that ran USB (the more squarish end) to XLR/1/4" so that I could plug my Snowball into my recording interface.

aziltz

I did a quick search but didn't find one, but I'd be interested in buying a cable that ran USB (the more squarish end) to XLR/1/4" so that I could plug my Snowball into my recording interface.

thats not going to exist as a cable alone. you will need some kind of powered box to go between.

phillygtr

If you wanted to use the Yeti with another audio interface (let's say you wanted to use the Yeti + another mic going into let's say a Duet), could you power the Yeti using a powered hub, then plug the output from the headphone jack into the interface? Or is that too much A/D/A conversion before hitting the audio interface? Is the headphone output a direct analog signal (no digital conversion from input) or is it converted to analog from a D/A converter in the mic?

Update: Yeti Pro has an all analog signal path to XLR output. However, value wise I'd rather invest in an audio interface and regular analog mics.

Last edited:

Trending Topics