Blueridge, any good ??

Seorie

I think Eastman has overall better quality, and is a superior sounding instrument over the Blueridge line, and I like Blueridges....
Frank,
I cant attest to that but I have played Eastmans like the Blueridge line there made in China and as I said the the store owner regarding an Eastman E-OM20 - "if I needed a guitar, this would be it".
I play a Lowden and Bourgeois.

Jaredstepp

Stopped into a store a few months ago - played high-end Gibsons, Taylors, Breedloves, Martins, a Stonebridge, etc. The guy put a guitar in my hand I didn't recognize, and I just started to play and evaluate with my ears before I knew anything else. It was heavenly - one of the richest sounding guitars I have ever played or heard . . .

It was a Blueridge BR-263. Being completely unfamiliar with Blueridge, I then examined the guitar and realized it was Brazilian Rosewood. Then it started to make sense for me. If I had $1250 to walk out with that guitar used, I would still be enjoying it today. It was the best guitar in the store - rich and articulate - I could hear every string clearly when strumming - amazing!

K-Line

Vendor
I picked up a BR43 the other day for a shop knocker. My good acoustics were getting destroyed. Very good value. A bit of nut work and a saddle shave and it stays in tune pretty well.

svenhoek

I had a BR-160 briefly. It had been set up at McCabe's, played as easy as an electric, really nice tone. Ended up selling it as I found a great deal on a high end hand made OM, but I still regret letting it go.

For the price, or even double the price I paid, it was a fabulous instrument. Equal to a Collings or Santa Cruz? No, of course not, but it was well good enough to make it into my "shouldn't have let that one go" club.

negriljerry

I have been hunting for the right acoustic for a while, I need something that can keep up with other loud guitars. Something that can roar, and that has a great sound too. I have tried some Collings, liked them very much, but don't have that kind of dough now. How do you guy's think a BR would work for this ??
I bought a Taylor 210CE yesterday, a MIM model that doesn't compare that well with my Blueridge BR-160CE, which I just listed on CL for sale. The BR is significantly louder with more projection and clarity. Here's the thing: I just can't get past the look of the BR. The "dalmation" pickguard is one thing, quite minor, but the ghastly uber-bling headstock? Can't dig it, to the point where I'm resigned to playing out at gigs and open mics with the Taylor (which is lam b&s as opposed to the all-solid rosewood on the BR) for a while until I fall in love with something else and flip the Taylor along with possibly one or two other acoustics.

I have a few other A/E's but I have to have at least one with volume and tone controls, to maintain a bit more control when someone else is running the sound.

All that being said, I know of a few fulltime pros who use Blueridge and I realize that I'm just being picky and maybe sacrificing tone for looks and brand - temporarily. I get restless and enjoy swapping guitars every few years but have a few keep-forevers, like my beat up 90's Martin DC-1E, and a Martin 000M that sounds way better than it ought to given the materials.

I recently missed out on a Blueridge BR-371 top of the line parlor which I may snag someday - slot headstock, no bling, not even the name.

Bobbybigbucks

I have a 2019 BR-180 that is fabulous. I'll never sell it. It's the po' man's D-45, and costs 1/5 the price.

I sold my Martin D-41 Special a few months back. No regrets.

gibson3798

A Blueridge is a solid step down from some of the others such as Collings, Martin, etc..Anyone thinking different isn’t as well informed as they may want to appear. Certainly the BR company knows where they land on the pile, and they price them accordingly.
Having said that, there are better BR’s than others, as there are better. Martin’s than others. Some Martins are simply dreadful (no pun intended), while others are ethereal. You have to PLAY a lot of wither brand to find a winner. The only objections you’ll get to that are internet buyers simply wanting another guitar, not a great guitar, so decide which camp you’re in, measure your budget, and move forward. Don’t think you’re buying a top tier guitar with a BR, just enjoy it for what it is.

Route67

I can imagine a Martin-inspired Blueridge (or Eastman) being open and resonant beyond the average new standard series Martin as the latter has finish quality included for a lifetime (slightly over finished) even inviting enlargement of the soundhole (cf. Le Blanc/ Rice’s old D-28, before it got into their hands) to alleviate woofiness and to “open it up”. There are ways to pre-age and lighten the responsiveness, but all at the risk of the dreaded wolf note, rendering it undesireable. Finish quality effects a smooth, even response across the fingerboard.

Trending Topics