1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Blues Backing tracks rip off alert

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by dosmun, Apr 4, 2009.

1. dosmun

dosmun Member

[​IMG]
    A very well respected poster at the TDPRI very graciously uploaded free, live musician blues backing tracks for anyone to use.

Some 'ass clown' decided to turn it into CD 'play-a-longs' for sale ...

Rip-off of my backing tracks. As some of you know, I created 80 blues backing tracks using live musicians. These can be freely downloaded at: http://www.lawrencefritts.com/backingtracks.html. I did this as a service to musicians around the world and at any level. I believe that knowledge should be free and this is how I back that up. One of our forum members just purchased these same backing tracks for $39.95 from this website: http://www.50blues.com/12barblues.htm. If you think it is appropriate to alert other forums, I would appreciate it. I think it is very slimy to take something that is free (and created with a lot of hard work and money) and sell it to people who could other download it for free. I anticipated that this might happen and so am not surprised. I just don't want others to pay for something that they can get free. __________________ larry

this is just to let you know that if you want these very well done backing tracks you can get them for FREE right here ...
    http://www.lawrencefritts.com/backingtracks.html

2. BluesBoy

BluesBoy Member

The backing tracks below may be downloaded and used for any purpose, with no restrictions whatsoever. Except for "The Thrill Is Gone" and "Stormy Monday Blues," they are all in the 12-bar blues format. The tracks that are for drums alone also follow the 12-bar form. This project was funded by the University of Iowa Research Experiences for Undergraduates program. The research assistants were Justin LeDuc and Harlan Muir.

Read the first line. How did someone rip them off?

3. smoss469

smoss469 Member

Wouldn't there be a legal issue there?

I mean he's selling something he doesn't own, at the very least it's morally wrong IMO. What a dirtbag.

4. BluesBoy

BluesBoy Member

It does seem like a rotten thing for someone to do but it looks like there are no restrictions on the files.

5. smoss469

smoss469 Member

Well I was implying that wouldn't it be illegal to charge for something that's free/public domain? It'd be like setting up a gate and charging people to use the public beach. You no one else did it but you don't own the beach and it's free to everyone.

6. 5992

5992 Member

It seems that these works are in the public domain.

This article explains it well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

It is perfectly legal to charge for something in the public domain. Items in the public domain are owned by everybody, so anybody can use them for any purpose. Including reprinting, reselling.

Dover books has been doing this for decades.

Having said that, I'd feel cheated had I bought those tracks. But like most things, caveat emptor.

7. Wagster

Wagster Member

That clown is making money off of someones generosity.While it may not be illegal it's lame.The more people that know the better.It's a shame that some people are paying for free files.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  8. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

at least some of us know they are free. i agree that it's a morally wrong thing to do and takes a dirtbag opportunist to take advantage of it. thanks for the heads-up.

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

The reason I posted was just to try to spread the word and let players know these are available for free and not give their hard earned money to a thief.

10. fiddler49

fiddler49 Member

"...[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So I took matters into my own hands and started a 3 month long project to record and produce the finest, most sizzling 12 bar blues backing tracks that any professional blues musician would be proud of..."

So since it's public domain, does that mean Zack Roberts can lie about how he "produced" these tracks? :dunno
    [/FONT]

11. smoss469

smoss469 Member

False advertising!

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

If you go to the bottom of the webpage for "the tool" you can send him a letter andtell him what you think. I just did, and told him exactly what I thought of him.

That's a BS law, but perhaps your friend should have at least found out about some kind of protection.

13. BluesBoy

BluesBoy Member

Yep, you did a good thing. Sorry if I sounded confrontational. That was not my intent.

14. Mike McLenison

Mike McLenison Member

This is a great site! Thanks much! Is there freeware to covert these aif's to mp3 or wav format?

15. cubba65

cubba65 Member

Way to go Zack!

Maybe you can use this on the CD cover:

[​IMG]

16. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I love when people's obvious bias towards the law affects their rationality.

This has nothing to do with law. The person producing these allowed a free license for anyone to use them, for any reason. Someone did, to resell them. Perfectly within the license.

It was the poor foresight of the original producer not to limit the license in some way. The law has nothing to do with it.

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

He ripped off someone else's efforts if your fine with that I guess it just shows something of your beliefs I guess. Poor form all the way around, I have nothing more to say about this issue.

18. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

Dang, I was just about to go purchase the "50 Tracks" myself. Thank goodness for TGP!

19. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Again, your bias is getting in the way of your comprehension of the issues.

I never said I was okay with it. I just said there is nothing about the law that is causing this situation.

20. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

That's really low. What a scumbag :FM