Blues boy vs. Blues Pro

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek_32999, Dec 11, 2005.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Just wondering about these two, i have the blues pro and really like it. Can anyone compare the two? Thanks!

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's not a very precise way to do it, but from listening to the clips on the site, I think you got the best one (for blues anyway...)

The Pro sounded better to me in the clips. Of course, that doesn't probably mean a lot, mainly I was interested in your question too and want to bump it current again.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yeah, i got the pro based on the clips, however, the Blue Boy seems to get a lot of praise. I love the Blues Pro stacked into the Timmy. I was just curious if anyone had A/B'd these two. Thanks!

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

5. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yeah i remember Jeak's comparison threads. Didn't he end up with a Timmy in the end. Anyways, it didnt seem as though anyone else had compared the blues pro and blue boy. I am sure i know who would be the winner from listening to the website, but you know how sound clips can be unfaithful.

6. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I am an Australian music dealer with quite a big selection of some of the best brands in store,
    I heard good things about these fine new pedals on the market from a good knowledgable customer of ours.
    He talked me into getting some and I couldnt wait untill they got here,
    Initially Mr MI audio seemed very happy to have a new dealer in a new state and I was pleased to sell his products and give him a good helping hand as a small manufacturer often needs,
    I placed the order, I never recieved any pedals.
    He doesnt return emails, he has no phone number,
    Whats up wid dat?
    He doesnt deserve to have his backyard pedals in our store.
    There are plenty more of these guys out there, I also like to keep pedals simple, he has a million different settings on his, I listened to the sound clips and definitely was not blown away.
    Forgive me if I am coming across a little nasty as I am just speaking my mind on the matter.
    Thanks for listening!

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

That's too bad you had a bad experience with "mr. mi audio". I love the pedals I have tried from him and if you did get them in the store the sheer versatility alone (million different settings) would make them a hot item. In fact with my blues pro i dont have anything but 3 knobs and there is a plethora of tones to be had. Have you a/b'd the blues pro vs the blue boy. BTW Michael Ibrahim has posted here before, perhaps he could help you with your dillema. He is "Mr. MI Audio" :) Thanks for your input.:D

8. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Yup, you're DEFINATELY coming across as "a little nasty." It will not bode well for you here. :Spank I suggest you try contacting him again, or ask some of his other dealers how to get a hold of him.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Interesting. I've had nothing but quick email responses from Michael, and I bought his pedals secondhand - he's never received a cent from me. Yours is the first negative post I've read concerning MI, and the 'backyard pedals' remark makes me think you've got an axe to grind...

Anyway, Derek - the Blue Boy is less of a Tube Screamer clone than the BP by the tones and looks of it. The Blue Boy can be set up to sound like a TS pedal, but what is so great about it IMO is that you really can tailor it to sound quite different. The clips on the MI site of the Blue Boy only show a small fraction of what it can do. Do a simple chip swap and it's like having a whole new pedal at your feet if you wish. I've recently been through a Reverend Drivetrain II, Keeley TS-9/808, HAO Rust Driver, Mosferatu, Hot Cake, OCD, and an AC Booster - the Blue Boy is the one that I kept.

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Thanks!! I already have the blues pro and i am trying to figure out if it would make sense to have the blues boy also. I also thought maybe i could wait until the blues boy deluxe comes out. I love MI Audio as a whole, even just from looking at the web site, which IMO is one of if not THE best guitar pedal manufacturer's websites out there. Thanks again! Man, i gotta get some of them chips from small bear, i also wanna try out Jeak's swap ideas for my timmy.

11. threm

threm Member

Good to hear, Erskin, as I bought the Blue Boy from Tele Tubby today. One of the few pedals that that didn`t leave him quickly from his sale. Probably because of the Blues Pro and it`s low new price and possibly because some might wait for the new Blue Boy Deluxe.

[​IMG]

"...awaiting PCBs which should be here by mid January. Stay posted for any more updates!"

"It still retains the same great tone, the major difference being that I'm going to make all the internal controls external, and it will look similar to my fuzz pedals with two large controls ('Gain' and 'Volume'), and 4 small controls ('Character', 'Tone', 'Mids', and 'Brightness'). In terms of changes, I improved the old 'voicing' control to make it operate on the mids exclusively (instead of mids and highs,... I felt that there was too much overlap with the tone control in this respect), and hence I renamed it 'mids'. I've also bumped up the output volume by a factor of two for even more punch. Finally, I found the ultimate IC for the Blue Boy,... the LM1458 IC, which is sooooo smooth. That's going to become the stock IC in the Blue Boy Deluxe. I expect the BBD to start shipping in December. The price should stay the same, hopefully!"
    http://www.miaudio.com/

12. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

LOL, I was looking at that Blue Boy! In fact I emailed AND pm'd Tele Tubby a few times and never got any response. Oh well, maybe my stuff was screwed up. :) Maybe it was karma telling me it was best to wait for the deluxe ;) I hope you enjoy the Blues Boy as much as I love my Blues Pro.

13. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

14. erksin

erksin Member

15. erksin

erksin Member

Did you get a LM833? That's what I settled on with mine - smooth, but with an open quality.

16. threm

threm Member

I`m looking forward to it, closest thing I have may be a Valvetone, a Rumble Mod or the CJOD. Actually I have no idea.

Already some pedals on my board have started to fight each other. They know that time may be up for one or two of them. I hear some noise from the board in the middle of the night, even when it`s turned off.
    Kind of spooky, but then again, we`re talking about reeeal Boutiqe pedals here, with life and soul. And pride. A couple are very sensitive with massive fear of rejection. Not easy to handle these things.

:NUTS

17. erksin

erksin Member

You should have seen the look on my Mosferatu's face when I yanked it off the board -

"Wait! I thought you said you loved me..?"

"I do - it's not you, it's me - it's just, I found something else. I wanted something with a little more sparkle in the high-end - I hope you understand. Chin up, kid - I'm sure you'll make someone VERY happy someday, you'll see..."

18. Madsman

Madsman Member

I just saw the knock on Michael from MI... I wanted to chime in and mention that I bought a Blues Pro from him, got it QUICKLY with free shipping to the states... he answered ALL of my e-mails extremely quickly, was very friendly, and even answered questions about a Tube Zone custom pedal that I was considering buying used, and wanted details on. Something is shady about the poster coming in and bad-mouthing him. I'm not buying that Mike's bad to do business with... I WILL continue to support MI Audio. Looking forward to their new stuff!

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah...gotta say, I won't cast aspersions (they are way too heavy) on the australian dealer that had the negative comments on MI, but
    I just had sent an email asking about how to order (non-US) to MI, I got a reply the very next day, and it was a very nice reply, generous...and I just ordered the pedal.

I have no misgivings whatsoever, and am really sure I will be able to report back here that it all went fine in a few weeks or so.

Can't ask for more than that. I have had inquiries with other pedal makers that took weeks to get replies, even on ordering !

One, that made baffles, I had to email them about 6 times before getting a reply.

20. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

This complaint seems a little sus to me. There just seems to be a big chunk of the story we're not getting. MI has always had great service, even to those that haven't bought his pedals, or did so 2nd hand. Just look at how he prices them...not at all greedy like some of the ridiculously priced ODs going around which can't be much more costly to make.

I've had long discussions on the phone and via email with MI and he's a real electronics and engineering enthusiast. I just can't see him acting in the way that's being claimed unless there's something that we haven't been made aware of. He's actually very calm and thoughtful about things which says a lot given the nature of this crazy business.

He's also told me that he's really keen on providing his pedals for the local market at reasonable prices so I can only imagine him jumping on the train of an enthusiatic Oz dealer.

Anyway, one malcontent doesn't spoil the party in my view.

I haven't tried the Pro, but the Deluxe is great (I have a proto model if that's not confusing enough :D ), especially if you want to try it with picky gear combinations or unusual settings, That's when the flexibility comes into play big time. I'll have to try some different chips eventually.:rolleyes: