Blues Deluxe Reissue Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Drewboy, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

Hey gang,
    Just a question or maybe observation, my workhorse amp i gig with, the blues deluxe reissue, i think is a great amp. No hate for it at all, I havent had any problems besides a buzz on the B note that makes the whole combo resonate I cant pin point. But the volume knob, i hear its linear or non linear, and its really not useful. I cant put the volume past 2, not 2 o'clock, the number 2 out of 12. And thats at outside gigs. Just wondering why it wouldnt be the correct and practical from the factory? I would also like more clean headroom and I hear of guys on here that put a 12AY7 instead of the AX7 in position V1 and it helps with volume and headroom? Anybody try this? Thanks

2. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

OK... you're kinda contradicting yourself. You're saying it's too loud but you want more clean headroom? Honestly as a former owner of both an original US made Blues Dlx and a MIM reissue, these are nothing BUT clean headroom. I had one last year that never got above 2 1/2 on the MV and there was zero breakup.

3. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

I never said it was too loud. I said the volume knob is useless, at least of my reissue is. It goes from being idle quiet to being very loud from 0-2. When I get it to where i want to be volume wise, there is breakup on the amp. In fact it breaks up at 1 1/2 on the volume. I just want more clean head room. I read changing the preamp tube will make the volume more practical and give more clean headroom, just wondering if anyone out there did this.

4. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Member

Do you have a volume pedal? If so, run it through the effects loop. That way you can throttle it back some and give yourself more range.

5. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Nonsense. Just get the linear taper volume pot replaced with an audio taper one. Putting a volume control in the effects loop robs the amp of all its balls.

6. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

This is probably your best option if you wanna be able to turn up the volume and not have a ridiculous jump in volume.

7. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

i have the exact same issue in my 2004 Hot Rod Deluxe. Vol=1...too quiet. Vol=1.5...perfect, Vol=2...too loud lol.

8. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

Dave T is right. Make sure you buy the correct Fender "snap in" pots with the metal brackets to fit as well. Antique Electronic Supply has them.

9. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

Thanks gang, I'll look into the pot. Anyone tried the 12AY7 tube in V1 ?

10. TD_Madden

TD_Madden Gold Supporting Member

I've heard that the 5751 is a good choice in the first socket for increased headroom in that amp.

11. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

Something doesn't sound right. My buddy gigs one of these with a 335 and his sound is clean as a whistle and his volume is up around 4 or so. His guitar and amp are bone stock. Do you have super hot pickups in your guitar?

12. Drewboy

Drewboy Member

I have a Strat with Don Mare pickups in it, but I have the same results with all my guitars. I will say I do play really aggressive, and I know thats part of it. It's just really hard to dial in the sweet spot on the amp with it being so sensitive from 0 to 2 on the volume control.

13. dmcrisp

dmcrisp Active Member

I'll have to agree with that. Something is either up with the amp or guitar. I have the reissue and i don't get any breakup whatsoever until about 4 to 5, and i also have an aggressive style with hot pickups. The clean headroom with these amps is the only reason people buy them, because it certainly isn't for the overdrive.