• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Blues Deluxe reissue vs. original

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I had a Blues Deluxe during the nineties and am thinking about getting another one.

Is there any difference between the original one and the reissue? If so, what?

Thanks.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
The originals were known for shoddy soldering and switches. I know - I owned one (eventually, got so fed up with it I gutted and rebuilt it into a PTP BF Bandmaster-type amp).

I think this is one of those cases where you are better off with the reissue.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
It shouldn't. Properly-trained and managed Mexicans outperform improperly trained and mismanaged Americans, judging from the results of this particular amp.

I have an original from the early 90's. It was a limited run with blond Tolex. I have replaced the oringinal speaker -- which went bad -- with a Canibus Rex and the main tubes with "winged-C" 6L6's. No problems except the speaker. On possible difference is that the originals do not have adjustable bias. I know the HRDL amps have adjustments, maybe the new Blues Deluxe's do too?

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
Properly-trained and managed Mexicans outperform improperly trained and mismanaged Americans, judging from the results of this particular amp.
I was unaware of the build qualty problems.

Are there any physical differences in terms of parts or function?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
The thing about cold solder joints, weak switches, and questionable components is that they don't necessarily affect all owners and, of the ones they do affect, they don't all the time. For the original Blues Deluxe which sold in large quantities, for sure, you'll find many people who never experienced a single problem with their amps. I can only tell you my experience, that of other folks I know with the same amp, and what the several techs who worked on mine all told me about it which is that they were, in general, remarkably shoddy amps.

Buy a new one.

I already told you how I couldn't stand my own anymore. FWIW, it's better now. ;)

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
Not exactly stock huh Jon?

Thanks for taking the time to post that.

I was one of the lucky owners that had no problems with my original issue, but I've had other equipment that was plagued with cold solder joints and I have absolutely no desire to even chance riding that merry-go-round again.

I should probably just play what I've got (including a Vibrolux not listed in my sig) but I miss my old BD and it's useful to have a decent amp that only costs $400 to drag around.

Of course the operative word is decent.

bruceplays

Like Jon I had cold solder joint problems - got em fixed but eventoally sold the amp and bought a BF Bandmaster head and Musicmaster cab - which you can probably still get cheaper than a new BDRI .

Bruce

Trending Topics