Blues Deluxe Speaker Replacement Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SoCalGuy, Feb 3, 2012.

1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Looked at a number of threads without the end all type answer. Here's the problem, I know it isn't extrodinary: My RFBD 40wt with stock speaker breaks up too early. I play clubs, volume @ 4 / 5. What I need is MORE HEADROOM without pulling caps or tubes. Speaker change-out seems easiest. Material ranges from Crowded House to SRV. Need to go funky with Marley to Bruno Mars. Suggestions so far, Texas Heat, Jensen C12K, Weber Chicago. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. jb

2. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Are you playing some dirty humbuckers thru the amp? With my strat I had to get the BD to about 10 before I could get dirty with the amp. That amp is known for some loud cleans IIRC so I'm surprised you can get dirty at 4 or 5.

3. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Playing mainly Fender guitars. Strat' and a parts-Caster I bought here on GP. It has Seymore Duncan '59 at the bridge / Antiquity at the neck. Tubes on my RBD have been checked out and in working order. Screaming dirty at 4/5. jb

4. champster

champster Member

I've had good results using an Eminence RW&B.

5. andycoutch

andycoutch Member

I'm thinking of getting another speaker on my Blues Deluxe as well, I wonder how a Vintage 30 would react in that amp?

6. markszabo

markszabo Member

The stock speaker in the BD is Eminence-designed and rated at 50W, higher than the BD's output power - so a speaker swap isn't going to do the job. If you want more headroom, put in a 12AT7 into V2 and V3, and bias it colder (50mV or so) if it's a reissue with adjustable bias.

7. Funky54

Funky54 Member

My vote would be the Jensen C12K. Its the only one I have ever tried so take it with a grain of salt... but I know it has so much more headroom then I ever thought. The Volume at 2.5 keeps up with a good rock drummer with no problem..good crunch is about 3.5 to 4. Mine is moded to break up that soon.

8. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Thanks for advice. Will talk to my tech about a tube swap. But, I am thinking a speaker, like the Jensen C12K with a power rating of 100 watts. jb

9. SRVTWO

SRVTWO Member

Probably a more efficient speaker. Maybe a EV12L or a Eminence Swamp Thing. The Emi Cannibus Rex also comes to mind. Those amps are pretty loud so if you are breaking up on the clean channel then you are running into power tube distortion. A more efficient speaker will probably solve your headroom problems.

Mike

10. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Mark, a neighbor and GP member, Stratclaw, happens to have a couple of 12AT7s I can swap out. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll let you guys know how all turns out. (still groping around for a speaker swap, too) jb

11. Lance

Lance Member

A 65 Heritage would be perfect for these. Scott Henderson uses one on occasion along with HRD & HR Devilles for smaller gigs.

12. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I think you need to make sure your power tubes are biased correctly.

If that doesn't work, then a higher efficiency speaker may be the answer.

40 or 45 watts should be plenty headroom for most conventional pop styles. A wee bit of power tube compression and clip makes a tube amp sound like everyone wants it to sound.

Its also possible your Phase inverter is weak and the distortion is coming from there. Pop a new electroharmonix 12ay7 into the PI instead.

Other suggestions include running your preamp gain down in the 11:00 area, and make sure your tone knobs are not set with lots and lots of bass, for instance. I think it must take more RMS power to drive bass than treble at equal volumes to the ear.

13. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Did the recommended tube swap which cleared up the distortion issue but lost half the volume. Got the original tubes back in and will keep my eyes on the controls, bass down, drive/gain at 11:00 This Deluxe if primarily for a Sunday gig that turns into a jam, late night, so I don't want to get into anything too exotic or boutique-y. I never who/when someone might go Townsend on the equipment. GP member Stratclaw suggested a Carr. Not at 4X's the price of the Deluxe.