1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

BLUES devil yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fuzzface, Oct 16, 2005.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

I keep getting ppl telling me that the BD is the ts808 done right. Or is the best TS circuit pedal aimed to give that gravelly ts cool, mid humped the very best. Anyone agree with this? I know this subjective and I want your subjective opinion good or bad. I want to waste anyones time here, but if you wish to state your opinion I will totally appreciate it, as I am sure will others interested now or the future about the MJM BD? Is it worth the 175 beans?

2. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

It is definitely a great sounding TS, everything you said. Better than a Keeley modded TS. My only complaint would be that the tone knobs and gain don't change the sound much, very subtle.

3. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I just bought a boatload of overdrives in a package deal and two really stood out... Hoochee Mama and Blues Devil. The blues devil has a really dynamic lively sound. It makes your sound come alive. Great for big power chords or bluesy leads.

John

4. landru64

landru64 Member

it's great at 175 beans and even greater when you find em used here for under 120. i heartily recommend it.

5. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

A big yay!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have no clue as to why anybody would choose/buy a modded TS-9 when you could have a Blues Devil. Top notch components and top notch tone, one of my all-time favorites.

6. stratofied

stratofied Member

7. gururyan

gururyan Member

I can't speak for the BD, but I can say that my MJM London Fuzz put a much anticipated end to my fuzz search. I plan to expand my MJM collection soon, maybe the BD will be next.

8. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

Yay - it is the best of the tube screamers.

9. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

It's the best straight-up TS808 overdrive. It captures the sound and mojo. It's very musical no matter how you set it.

10. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

I have owned a TS-9, TS-9 RI, TS-9/808 mod, TS-10/808 mod, Foxrox ZIM, and a ton of other overdrives and dirtboxes such as a Keeley Phat BD-2, Mosferatu M3, Tube Driver etc... The Blues Devil is definitely the best of the Tubescreamer style pedals. It is the most musical and pleasing to the ears in most settings. I agree that the tone knob doesn't change the tone all that much, but it has sweet spots all over the place so I am not bothered by that. If you are looking for a plug 'n play tubescreamer type overdrive, I would recommend the Blues Devil. It is a great deal especially if you find one used. The ZIM is another one of my favorite overdrives, but with the H9 card I can't quite capture the tone of the BD. It is very close, but the mids aren't quite as complex. Of course the ZIM is a dual OD with interchangable cards and it costs almost twice as much, so it is in a different ballpark alltogether. If you want a great tubescreamer style pedal with a rich musical tone, buy the BD. It is worth every penny.

11. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member

Yeah..the BD is my personal fave TS clone. It seems to add something to single note lines...uhh "bloom" is the word a lot of BD owners use.

12. soupbone

soupbone Member

I totally agree with "Bloom" Factor on BD & all of MJM's pedal.
    I get this great musical thickness that happens with the RM boost as well the London Fuzz(germanium).

Awesome products!..................and Service

13. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

Ok ok I buying one. despite all the crap I read, I still like the Ts-9 and Ts808 sound, so the BD sounds killer. My Maxon od-9 had beautiful OD chord clarity, I hope the BD also has that characteristic

14. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I`ve said it a zillion times. MJM makes the best fx clones on the market today. He takes the time to match components. He listens to your concerns, and his cutomer support is second to none. I hope this guy doesn`t get too big!! And best of all,,,he`s CANADIAN!!

CT.:cool:

15. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Another vote fore the BD!!!!!

I would take this pedal over my old original TS808 anyday

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

HELL YEAH!!

Mike at MJM and his pedals are second to none!

Many pedals have come and gone on my board, the Blues Devil has always been there. The only thing I would add to the mix here is that it has this organic bloom quality to it that keeps me hooked. Goes well with all my amps, kills....absolutely KILLS with neck pups in either HB or P-90 variety.

Go get one ASAP!

17. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

I just bought one from a forum member here, offered me a great price! thnks Scott.

I can't wait to hear this bloom quality? What is it really????

18. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

ON the MJM soundclips the BD clipA is much different than the clipB? Which clip does your BD sound most like?