Blues Deville/Hot Rod Deville

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Just curios about the differences between the two. Heard a guy play a 4x10 Deville of some kind. Sounded amasing. These things a relatively cheap might snag one if I find a very good deal on one just to beat around. Maybe Hand Wire one for kicks.

2. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

I have a new RI and I like it a lot (I'm picky about tone & hard to please) the main thing I've found so far is the stock tubes are kinda crappy and biased a bit cold. I put JJ's for the power tubes and NOS for the pre-amp and heated the bias up some and now it sounds awesome..just pounding the speakers waiting for break-in..they've already mellowed some.

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Killer amp. Try 3-4 and pick out the best sounding one. I sold my all original 66 Super reverb because my 4/10 Deville sounded better. I had them both side by side for several years. World class clean tones. Use an overdrive box and forget the drive channel.

4. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

+3. Definitely play through multiple units. Another option might be to go through e-bay if you cant find an older unit, Made in the USA verfified before they started shipping to Mexico.

The stock tubes sound good as well. I thing Tag will verify the same.

5. rastaman

rastaman Member

I'd like to listen to it with a 2061X going through 2/10's and the DeVille in the other 2. Just set my little Marshall right on top and boom, damn what a rig :eek: :drool :RoCkIn !!

Now you got me thinking.............. :Spank

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Yep, I tried many NOS in mine, including Telefunkens. I like the stock ones the most.

7. Tasweigan

Tasweigan Member

I know a guy who had a Fender DeVille, not the hot rod, and it worked well for three or four years and then caught on fire twice!
    The tech said the trannies are underpowered.:jo

8. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

PCB junk. For that kind of money, you can get a PTP amp that will last you. If you hand-wire it, you'll have a good amp. But the Hot Rod series are entry-level amps. Not gig-worthy in any long-term way.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

So any amp with a PCB is...junk? Mike Soldano might disagree. As would Reinhold Bogner!

PCB, when done right, is just fine. That being said, the first thing I had to do to the brand new DeVille I tried out was to solder the tube socket back in :jo

'When done right' being the operative phrase I guess.

10. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    I have no experience with these amps, but will say that I've seen a number of touring pros with the Hot Rod amps on stage with them.
    I'd hope that a touring musician would choose an amp that could handle the rigors of the road...not to mention the thousands of bar room players who rely on PCB Fenders and Peaveys every weekend of the year.
    :cool:

11. nland

nland Member

I had a HR Deville 212 for about 5 years. Great amp, just simply too loud for my application. My brother had a Blues Deville 212 and that too was an awesome amp. He had that for about 10 years before trading it in for something smaller.

I owned alot of Fender amps over the years, both solid state and tube, and never had problems with any of Fender's products. IMHO they are well built production amps, have good tone, and have pretty good reliability records. Resale on them isn't bad either if you ever decide to trade or sell it.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah..it's great to have an opinion, but the fact is many folks are using them successfully as their main amp, on the road. These are the hard working guys that gig, and are relatively not known yet.

You can't go so much by folks that are big, because they have their own techs to take care of the amps, and so if they like an amp for its' features or sounds, if it is "road-worthy" you wouødn't know, if it falls apart, their techs either fix them, or upgrade to more rugged parts when they fix them.

But I have seen a lot of folks make claims of them not being robust, along with lots of claims of using them, HARD, for years with no probs. (usually the claims of not being robust, are..."I know a guy who knows a tech that says they get them in all the time, and they are cheaply designed"..

But there are TONS of them out there, so yeah...probably a larger number would be coming back. I know I took a chance and am pretty happy with it. (BTW, point-to-point is no certainty either. cold solder joints, or just plain weak ones can be stressed also by temp changes, etc, and suddenly go)

That said, the original poster wanted to know about DIFFERENCES in the Hot Rod and the Blues DeVille.

I know a few folks here know more about the Blues (I just was involved in a recent thread about this...do a search and see it if you want but mainly...from what I understand):

Hot Rod DeVille (henceforth HRDV) has no foot switchable reverb (this REALLY sucks if you like to use reverb, but not all the time. Plus the knob for reverb is linear, and very touchy/hard to get to the right setting), I am told the Blues DeVille (henceforth BDV) has. That ALONE would have made me look more into the Blues if I had known about it.

HRDV has an effects loop (and it works nicely) and the BDV does not.

HRDV has some useless thing called "drive" and "more drive". where, if I understand right BDV has two-channels (shared EQ though) a clean and an overdriven. The HRDV drive or more drive, they have gotten a lot of complaints from folks that don't like it...personally, I can set one or the other to where I like it, but can never use both as there is way too big a vol change in them. So I can use one or the other and that's what I do.

I think they both come in 4 x 10" OR 2 x 12" combo models.

Don't know of more differences, but some more knowledgeable folk gave some interesting obseervations about the Blues DeVille, in a thread from last week where I asked "any amp like a bassman but with effects and reverb"....

Hope this helps

13. nland

nland Member

Correct: Fender markets the HR Deville as a 3 channel amp. The "more drive" setting is a harder distortion than the regular drive setting. The drive on the Blues Deville is pretty much the same as the drive on the HR Deville. Kind of sounds like an overdriven Bassman on both amps at the regular drive settings.

Good point too....there is a noticeable volume difference between the drive and more drive setting on the HR Deville.

14. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

he didn't say PCB amps are junk, just the build quality in these is ENTRY LEVEL and not the most dependable amp out there

15. Fred McMurray

Fred McMurray Member

I think most of the touring guys who may use these puppies are not particularly tone hounds--and the beauty of the Hot Rod series is that you can practically pick one up in any town and just plug right in. I had one years back and gave it The Gate, but I recommended some tube substitutions and speaker swaps to the guy I sold it to. On their own, the drive/more drive channels are cringeworthy, but the clean is a-ok! Don't expect Bruno Cowtipper here, folks; it's a decently-priced workhorse for the everyday plank-spanker, just season to taste...

16. scottlr

scottlr Member

I like tone, and I like my 4x10 tweed BDV just fine. It's actually the amp that brought me back to Fenders. I have to say I prefer my 67 Super Reverb, though.