Blues Deville to '59 Bassman RI upgrade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pics2050, Sep 26, 2006.

1. pics2050

pics2050 Member

I have a 90's Blues Deville 4x10 and have read good reviews of it and 59 Bassman RI too...does it make sense to spend money to upgrade from Deville to Bassman or do they both sound somewhat similar, especially in a gigging situation? Anyone gone through this path? So far I have no experience about the Bassman and its sound really. No complaints about Deville's tone before hearing the Bassman...

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

as much as i think the deville has a nice clean channel. i think the bassman ri is more versatile and better all around. i'd upgrade especially if you can gig with them

3. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

That is eggsacktly what I did. I got rid of the Deville, and went to the Bassman. Much more versatile, nicer tones all round with good tubes. Still very loud tho!!

CT.

4. pics2050

pics2050 Member

Great comment...I have had the Deville for about 3 months and have used it once only at a gig...so I cannot really gig with it, too big and loud!! This probably means no worth upgrading and spending the money needed. About versatility...the Deville has two channels and a reverb though but I believe Bassman would sound better but if no use then...thanks for making me think here!!

5. Tankguy

Tankguy Member

I've got the Bassman LTD, my buddy has the Deville. While the Deville has a lot of redeeming characteristics, the Bassman just has more depth and texture if that makes any sense. I always hate trying to define tonal qualities of an amp. Makes me feel like I am writing a letter to Penthouse or something cheesy. I dig the Bassman, great cleans, and if you get to spin the volume up to 6 or so, beautiful break up as well. LOVES pedals...

6. pics2050

pics2050 Member

Tks for your input. Sorry for my ignorance but could you tell me what is the difference between 59 Bassman Reissue and Bassman LTD?

7. giventofly

giventofly Member

the LTD has a tube rectifier instead of solid state one and i'm pretty sure has upgraded tubes.

8. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Just curious, in your opinions, what makes the Bassman more versatile than the DeVille? I had assumed, that due to feature sets, it would be the other way around.

9. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

I'm going to differ from the previous posts.

I love my DeVille. The other day, i was able to A/B a reissue DeVille against a 59 LTD. I was doing that as an excuse to feed Bassman GAS, I figured the Bassman would blow away the DV.

Boy, was i wrong. I thought the DV was much more alive than the Bassman. I can't quite quantify it other than that, but after playing the two, I decided on keeping the DeVille.

10. wolf9309

wolf9309 Member

Playinga bassman, I found that it had good tone, but didn't really click with me.

I own a Fender Blues Deville (BLUES, not hot rod, major difference of course) because i went into a store with no money and no intention of buying an amp but after playing it, I simply could not afford to not own it.

It isn't my main gigging amp anymore (replaced by a Hot Cat 30r- an entirely different beast in every way) but every time I go back to it, I still love it

11. Tankguy

Tankguy Member

Bassman LTD features the following changes over the earlier RI:

Tube rectifier as stated
    Jensen P-10R speakers
    Lacquered Tweed
    Upgraded Groove Tube GT-6L6-GE power tubes
    Internal bias pot
    Finger jointed solid pine cabinet
    Fitted cover included

12. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

Oops, my mistake, it was the Hotrod series of amps I was referring to in my previous post (now deleted) of being less warm (harsh to my ears) than the Blues series.

Dan

13. myles111

myles111 Member

These amps are totally different and other than four speakers in each have noting at all to do with each other.

A Lotus Super 7 has four tires .... so does a 79 Oldsmobile.

14. longgonedaddy

The Blues DeVille is based on the Bassman.:confused:

15. myles111

myles111 Member

No ... it is not at all.

SS driven reverb, channel switching, effects loop, master volume, and it is not even of the same cathode follower tone stack ala 4x10 bassman / Marshall JTM-45.

They are about the same size and have four speakers and 2 6L6's .... as do 1000 other amps.

16. longgonedaddy

I didn't say clone, I said based.

17. myles111

myles111 Member

It is not even remotely based in any remote way to a 4x10 tweed bassman.

18. longgonedaddy

So then, Fender lied in the literature?

Artistic license or downright deception?

19. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I think the difference here is one of you is looking at the amps as a consumer and one as someone who understand the innards of amps.

As a consumer, they seem similiar but as myles points out they are very different beasts under the hood.

20. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Some people that like a blackface sound won't like a tweed sound and thus won't like the bassman. I prefer the tweed sound so I like these the best of the production Fenders.
    I thought all the bassman reissues had a tube rectifier, they just used a plug in one that you can replace with a real tube.
    The best thing about the LTD would be the laquered tweed. Raw tweed is a pitiful idea, it gets dirty too quick. On my old Bassmans the 12AY7 sounds MUCH better than a 12AX7 in the preamp.