Blues Driver Substitutes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by granite, Sep 2, 2005.

1. granite

granite Member

Is there anything similiar to a Keeley Phat Mod Blues Driver out there the operates on a 9V battery and is True Bypass? I like the KBD a lot, but I found it to be noisy with a wall wart and I don't use enough effects to justify a Pedal Power or other power supply. I am not a fan of Tube Screamers. What else is out there?

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

For the money, I think the Blues Pro by MI Audio is about perfect. It's got more gain than a Tube Screamer (like the BD) has a very usable tone knob (mine's at 12:00 and I like a lot of honk and not a lot of fizz) sounds great, TB, MXR size box. It's a perfect little pedal. Awesome deal too.

3. erksin

erksin Member

A Timmy - moreso than the Blues Pro IMO. I've owned the Keeley - the Timmy does what I was hoping to get out of the Blues Driver - killer lower gain grit, no mid hump, with no fizz (the reason I sent the Keeley back)...

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

Hmm. Do you, or have you owned a Blues Pro? I don't own a Timmy, and I am sure I'd like one. But that's why I didn't mention it. I don't have any experience with it.

5. granite

granite Member

Could someone recommend an online vendor that sells the Timmy? My usual dealers don't carry it. It's OK if a dealer reading this wants to let me know that they carry it. Thanks!

Craig

6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

you cant buy the timmy at any store. you hafta contact the builder, paul cochrane. enter his name in the search function here. his contact info has been posted before. its best to call him after 8pm on the weeknights.....

7. erksin

erksin Member

I don't own a Blues Pro, but I do own a Blue Boy (not the same, but similar). The Timmy's voicing is much closer to the KBD than the Blue Boy - more 'open', less compression and a less smooth OD character. I don't consider a Timmy anywhere near a TS type sound, the Blue Boy (and Blues Pro) come much closer to a TS sound than a Blues Driver tone IMO...

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

you may want to try the T.C. Jauernig Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator Overdrive.

t's got a switch on it to switch between smooth OD (a la the keeley) and a grittier tone. Only costs 139 bucks plus it's got superior tone as well.

website: http://mypeoplepc.com/members/tjauernig/tcjauernigelectronics/

soundclips (with gain up all the way); left toggle: http://mypeoplepc.com/members/tjauernig/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/DGTMtoggleleft.mp3

right toggle:
    http://mypeoplepc.com/members/tjauernig/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/DGTMtoggleleft.mp3

9. MrSage

MrSage Member

What amp are you using?

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

those aren't my soundclips, those are off the site.

11. Phil M

Phil M Member

This was the pedal that I thought of when I read the initial post. I think it does have a little bit of a mid hump, but is very versatile and reminds me a lot of a better version of the BD I used to have.

12. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Timmy would be a good choice. In my opinion, you won’t find a better OD at that price.
    If you can spend some money, Cornish SS-2 is the ultimate. Look for a used one,
    Good luck,
    Paul

13. granite

granite Member

Would a Pedalworx Texas Two Step 2 (The B&W one) be a good substitute? I have read some good things about it, one person saying they liked it better than the way expensive Cornish SS-2. Can anyone compare it to the Blues Driver?

14. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I used to use a BD, but replaced it with a Fulltone OCD. I was using the BD to get the sound of an amp on 10. I had the gain at about 1-2 o'clock. I find the OCD gets me that tone, but much better sounding than the BD.

15. Tchello

Tchello Member

Inexpensive - Timmy
    Expensive - Pete Cornish SS2