Blues Jr. and Ibanez TSA 15 quick shootout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bh., Feb 19, 2012.

1. bh.

bh. Member

made a short video for those who are still researching...

i used a sound level meter to match the volume on both amps, though the ibanez just has a lot more bass, so that might make it seem louder.

Fender Blues Jr. Tweed (15w) with a NOS Jensen speaker. All Stock.

Ibanez TSA 15w head and cab. I replaced the speaker with a Celestion G12 Vintage 30 and the v1 tube with a JJ 12AT7. All the rest are stock.

recorded with an apogee one built-in condenser mic placed at an approx. equal distance from the 2 amps.

Guitar PRS hollowbody mccarty.

2. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I definitely liked the Blues Jr on the cleans more and I'd guess about 90% of that is because of the different speakers. With gain, they sound like to entirely different amps, again, probably largely because of the speakers. The Vintage 30 is just so focused is easily comes through even through the recording and the compression.

I had a Blues Jr that I lightly modded a few years back and I've been thinking about getting the Ibanez head as a garage amp as I've sold and given away my other amps that I used to keep out there. I've played the Ibanez at a local Sam Ash several times including through a different cab.

My question for you is, having lived with both of them, which would you want for a fairly clean Fender tone turned up pretty loud? I know it's probably hard to give an honest answer because of the different speakers. I'd probably be running through two JBL K120s unless I replace them with Delta Pros or Michigans or something a bit more gain friendly though I play clean about 90% of the time.

Thanks for taking the time to do the video. I'm sure it will help many folks out a lot. You were really hustling to change the inputs there.

:p

3. bh.

bh. Member

For cleans I also still prefer the blues. Jr., it just has a sweeter more interesting voice to my ears, but my only issue with it is that it gets a bit boxy at gig volumes (not a problem when Playing at home). on the other hand, the cleans on the ibanez has also improved a lot after the speaker and tube swap, and it doesn't sound boxy at all. It feels like a bigger amp when used in a club gig. so for home and recording purposes, id choose the bjr, for gigs, I'd go with the ibanez. One more thing, I tried the combo version of the ibanez at the store and it sounded completely different from the head + cab. I didn't like the combo at all.

4. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I hear ya. I haven't seen or tried the combo but for my needs, the combo doesn't interest me at all.

I've had several decent Fender amps and, while I know the Blue Jr gets a lot of hate, I didn't think it was all that bad. It's not a super 100% Blackface tone by any stretch, but for someone that wants cleans to slight break up tones somewhere in the Tweed/Brown realm with a bit of extra Blackface brightness, I think they could do a lot worse than the Blue Jr, esp with decent power tubes and a semi-proper Fendery speaker.

Thanks for your feedback.

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Nice comparison. I really dig my Blues Jr. but the Ibanez sounds cool too. Side by Side comparisons like this are great. You did a good job moving between the two amps so we really get a feel for each one.

Thanks
    Scott