Blues Jr III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sants, Jan 24, 2012.

1. sants

sants Supporting Member

I have owned many great amps over the last few years from Mesa to Matchless to vintage twins and pro reverbs. I loved them all.

My main gigging amp is now a Deluxe Reverb RI. I love it and it works great for my music. I play in the band that I would consider Indie/jam. We are starting to play shows in Philly and will be in some tight venues. We are a five piece with keys/hammond. We take up a lot of space. I have found that DRRI works great sound wise for any setting but its width makes it a tight squeeze for many shows. It can be very awkward! My other guitar player uses a twin!

I was looking for a lower powered amp that can be juiced more and takes up as little room as possible. Really Liked the ac15 but it is the same size and heavier than the DRRI.

I have read many reviews in praise and also disgust of the Blues Jr. I took it home and jammed with some tracks. The bottom end is not low as the DR. That is the only knock I can give it! In a band setting, that might even be a better thing.

I ripped on it for two hours and compared back and forth between the two. The DR is a great amp but I really found the Blues JR to be a little more flexible with tone and eq. I could almost get a twin like eq curve out of it and really enjoyed the sparkling high end.

I will still use my DRRI for most gigs but when space is an issue and I need a grab and go amp, the blues jr is my new thing. Very underated amp among the haters. It really makes me wonder how people have really spent time with one and how many bash because it is one of the lowest priced fenders.

Regardless they really made the III series a winner and the stock speaker sounds great! found I like the Lightning Bolt better than the Jensen in the tweed!

I was scared by some of the negative comments I read but after putting it to use It was all I could ask for the price. I use a lot of effects and it works great and is easy to use.

Anyone looking for a great and portable little amp don't be afraid!

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i remember starting down that very road. . .

the drri is long gone. my blues junior stays. . . .

3. sants

sants Supporting Member

I just think it is very underrated in most circles! One more note. Some notes seemed to a little crisper on the DRRI with OD but the blues jr stood tall.

Not saying it's the greatest amp, but a very good one that desreves more respect! This is coming from a gear snob

4. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Put on your flac jacket!

Seriously though, the lack of bass you are hearing is explained very well here on Bill M's page: http://home.comcast.net./~machrone/bjr/bjtone.htm

I agree with you though... Most players dial in a full tone that sounds great when playing alone... but in a band setting, you have to leave room for the bass player (and drummer) on the low end.

5. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

Just lay the DRRI on it's side and it's no wider than the Jr.

6. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I have heard a few guys just getting killer tone with Blues Jrs.

Where are you playing in Philly?

7. aflynt

aflynt Member

Sorry to be a hater, but I actually had the opposite experience. :) I gave my Blues Jr. every chance in the world (including many mods) but the DRRI (and my Pro Jr.) still ate it's lunch. Your experiences certainly may vary from mine but don't pass judgement until you've tried it on a few jobs first. My Blues Jr. sounded great at home, btw.

-Aaron

8. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

I spent time with one (Humbolt version) and ultimately I just needed a little more headroom/oomph. I practiced/gigged it as well. I thought it sounded great, but it just didn't fill the spot I needed.

Everyone hears things differently. I'm glad you found an amp that works for you and doesn't break the bank! Enjoy!

9. theaxedoctor

theaxedoctor Member

I love my Blues Jr III. It's primarily my band/home practice amp, but I've used it for recording and even small gigs. It's definitely a permanent fixture in my rig.

10. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

Big RedPlate fan here.

I went to a venue and was asked to play. One of the guitarists let me play his stock Blues Jr. with a TubeScreamer pedal. I had a great time and thought the Blues Jr held its own just fine. I would have no problem using a Blues Jr in certain applications.

11. tone4days

tone4days Member

i like mine a lot - billm modded but stock speaker ... i use a zendrive and or a duncan twintube classic ... plenty versatile with either an EJ strat or a PRS Sc245

i have played better amps, but they all cost way more and weighed a ton more ...

BJr has its place for sure
    t4d

12. bluesking55

bluesking55 Supporting Member

Ive had 5 of those freaking things, 2 were modded,billm etc... never gigged 1 till late Oct. It was horrible.
    Just picked up a Laney cub 12r... 15w, same tubes as Jr, effects loop, all metal jacks, ext 8/16 ohm jack. Voiced like a vox/marshall. weak link the the 30 dollar speaker.
    Trick i found is to run run gain and volume unity and run pedal.
    Also has a 15w input and a 1w input.
    Played sunday morning thru the the 1w input and it was very nice.
    Im still a blackface guy but these will blow a Jr outa the water.

I do like the guys idea of turning ur DRRI sideways

13. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

I just picked one up (limited "Red October") that has a an Eminence Redcoat Wizard speaker and it sounds great.

14. jcv

jcv Member

I went through several Dr Z amps to a DRRI and now I have a Hot rod Deluxe III Red October and I'm happier with my tone than I've ever been. I have my eye on a Blues Jr III Red October that I've played through several times and hope to buy it - awesome amp. Glad you're liking yours!

15. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Never liked the BJ. Main amp is a Gries 20 (BFDR circuit). I love it but recently picked up a Blackheart Handsome Devil. 15 watts of EL-84 Brit-tone for $350. Stock, it crushes the BJ.

16. WorkinSteamin

WorkinSteamin Member

I have a Blues Junior III and am very happy with it. I'm in a five piece classic rock band and the amp really cuts and has plenty of clean headroom at both rehearsal the small bar gigs we play. (Our drummer's volume is very reasonable.) I bought (and sold) a used AC15C1 and found that, in addition to it being more of a PIA to move (much bigger and heavier), it had less headroom and a diffuse quality that made it harder for me to hear even pointing at my head on a stand. At the same time, the other guys complained that I was too loud. The Vox had better sounding power tube breakup for sure, but considering the other factors, I opt for the III. :hide2

17. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I needed a small amp for practice tonight so I dusted off the BJ III Humboldt I remembered picking up last summer on an impulse. I had liked the color! I need to play this little amp a whole lot more. I only used pedals for OD tonight and the dirty tones were great. Running a '76 RI Dyna Comp into either a Cusack Screamer v2 or a Barber DDSS worked the best. Nice growl with lots of mids. The clean tones were pretty good as well. Good weight too.

18. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Love the sound of a Cusack Screamer into a BJ, I like how the amp "feels" with a TS in front as well.

19. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

TS and TS type pedals seem to go really well with the BJ III. I think pedals with strong mids are a natural fit with this amp in general as it has a lot of mid content itself.

20. guitkrazy

guitkrazy Member

I have a Tweed BJr & I like somebody else on this post was using a Vox AC15C1- I run the amps clean & use pedals for the dirt, the Vox just never delivered a good sound with my strats so I bought the Bjr with the Jensen I have been really happy with it so far the bass seems pretty decent (granted I haven't really cranked it up) The amp takes pedals really well. I was really surprised at how big the amp sounds