Blues JR jist stopped working

sf audio

Jamming away in the band...about 4 or 5 volume.....and all of a sudden nothing. No pop, no smoke, just silence...A blown tube? Its version 4, about six months old and sparingly plaid. Almost a new amp.

Ill try preamp tubes 1st...then power tubes. Wondering what else it could be...

Thanks

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Does that amp have a tube rectifier? They will do that when they fail

sf audio

Yes, red light is on....replaced all three preamp tubes...no luck. I guess I'll try the EL84's, but need to get a pair of them...

I did notice that one of the springs that hold the EL84's in place was popped off, not sure when that happened, and if it has anything to do with this problem...

geez....

Last edited:

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Does that amp have a tube rectifier? They will do that when they fail
Not a tube rec in the Blues Jr.

I played a relatively quiet duo gig with my BJr a couple years ago, and the amp was acting funny...distorting like crazy and weak in output. I didn't have a back up, so I just did what I could with it. Afterwards I come to find that one of the power tubes came out and smashed in the back of the amp! I did a two hour gig on one EL84, I was impressed the amp handled it.

Good luck figuring it out OP!

No457 Snowy

There are 2 fuses inside the amp that can be checked, but to get to them you need to remove the rear panel, if you don't know what you are doing inside there then best to take it in, you can get shocked if the capacitors are charged.

sf audio

Both fuses look OK, meaning I don't see an obviously burnt fuse. the middle thin thingy is intact for the length of the fuse, on both of them.

LBXPDX

It might be the cheap input plug. Sounds like it might be time to take it to a tech.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Once you eliminate the tubes & fuses as the cause, circuitry wise there are at least a dozen things that could cause your symptoms. So, sounding like you're not the techie type, maybe seek out a good tech as there's upwards of 500 lethal volts inside a typical tube amp, which is not a good place for novice fingers.

Trending Topics