1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We've added some "new" guys to the moderator crew. All are longtime members that stepped up to the invite to help out by volunteering their time and effort to help the membership experience on TGP stay on the even keel. A special thank you to the 'new' guys that helping out. The new moderators are Mike Duncan, Stormin, ford, Teleplayer, and PurpleJesus A thread on the announcement is here!

Dismiss Notice

Blues Jr. mods to get it towards Blackface?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Frank Prince, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Anyone know any mods to get this amp more towards a Blackface Princeton? More headroom, sweet cleans with volume, great with drive pedals, etc.

I'm interested in getting one and using it as a clean platform for pedals to use at blues jams and low volume gigs.

Everything I have found on the net so far points towards getting more gain out of it and making it more "tweedy".

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    You'll get the most mileage by replacing the speaker.

An upgrade in tubes couldn't hurt.

3. LGPlayer

LGPlayer Member

4. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Here's now...put the Blues Jr. on EBAY and take the funds and buy a black face Fender...

Sorry, I'm on my 2nd Blues Jr. and you aren't ever going to get a Blackface sound out of this boxy EL84 amp... You can push it into tweedland with the appropriate tube choices and some neat speaker selections...and maybe find a little Vox sparkle in the BJ, but scooped mids with BF tones...nope.

I don't buy into those Billm mods...I'm read to much of his idea of tone and heard his clips...they all have too much bass and sound lifeless, imho.

I've been through 6 different speakers in my current BJ (settled on a very good Emi Tonespotter, it's the best I've had) and tried some cool preamp tube choices (mostly V1 will give it a different tonal direction)...the amp is a basic, cheap, blues amps...nothing more , nothing less...a Carmen Ghia, Deluxe Reverb, Marshall 18watter, AC15 it ain't.

J

5. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Actually the Blues Jr. isn't bad at all IF you install bias control, bias it correctly and change tubes-

El84"s: MATCHED JJ's biase to around 8.4W IPD
    V1: NOS 12AY7
    V2": Whatever you want/have....
    V3: 12AT7, anything but EH/Sovtek/any rebranded Sovtek.

This is from experience...

-Jon

6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i was in the same boat, except with my pro jr. the amp was fun, then i got bored with it. too boxy and plain for me. i couldnt find any good mods for it, so i just sent it off to steve @ www.s2amps.com to have him do his 1794x conversion. cant wait to get it back. P2P baby!

7. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

+1, BF it ain't...really no way to make an 84 sound like a 6L or a 6V. Victoria got as close as you can w/ the Victoriette/lux model, but the best option is to unload or leave it in the corner as a practice amp and buy the blackface sound.