Blues Jr. or hold out for the Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pbass2go, Jun 23, 2006.

1. pbass2go

pbass2go Member

I am working on being a better guitar player and am starting to search for a good amp. I hope to gig out at some point on guitar. Being a bassist primarlily, I have decent gear for that. I am looking for a good all-around amp to cover Blues and rock.

I have a 59 Bassman that sounds amazing. But it is an origional and I don't know if I would realy want to take it out of the house. I have thought about a re-issue bassman, but it is awfully loud, (lol), at least to get the sound I like from my MIM Strat.

I have been looking at the Blues Jr or the re-issue Deluxe Reverb. I even dragged my tortured wife to the GC to listen to me try out both amps. She has the patience of a saint. ...:crazyguy
    1. The Blues Jr sounded good to my ear when I plugged in a Strat. Decent clean sound, dirtied up OK when I played with the gain control and master Volume. Reverb was OK also. Sounded a little muddy when I plugged in a guitar with humbuckers. (al la LP Studio)
    2. The Deluxe Reverb was a whole different creature. It really sounded great with the Strat. Much more open sounding to me. My wife even said it sounded much better than the Jr.

My question being: Should I get the Jr for now or wait a bit more and fork out the extra cash for the Deluxe? The amp will mainly be used as my practice amp, but would eventually be used in a band. Can the Jr cut it in a band setting with drums?
    Has anyone tried connecting the Jr to a 2X12 cabinet, instead of the internal speaker? I might go back to the GC and try that combination.

Does anyone use an extension cabinet with a deluxe?

Thanks ahead of time for any input....

Cheers

2. braughwd

braughwd Member

I'd say wait and get the Delue Reverb. You don't sound too thrilled with the Blues Jr, it seems like a quick fix that you're not going to be happy with for very long. I guess you should try the Blues Junior with a cab but I'm pretty sure you're going to want to save for the reverb.

3. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

I like the Deluxe Reverb RI better, I just sold my Blues Junior which was a good practice amp, plus the master volume helped dial in the right sound at the right volume around the house. As far a using it live, it sounded a bit boxy which could have been remedied with amp mods or an external speaker which does make the Bluse Jr sound better but it’s a hassle and the cost starts going up. The Deluxe Reverb RI which has a much better sound right out of the box IMO. As you described “more open” or better depth plus the reverb and tremolo have that classic Fender sound. If you are looking for some crunch or distortion at lower levels then use pedals so you can dial in the right sound.

4. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

The DRRI smokes the Bjr IMO. I've tried to like the Bjr and have had three and sold all three..the DRRI is awesome and you can jam with it.

5. 1964

1964 Member

AFAICS, you should hold out for a DRRI.

6. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

You can have the best of both worlds in this situation. You can get an used unmolested bjr for about $200 - 250. You can sell it later for exactly what you paid for it. The jr's are great, for what they are. They can sound boxy on occasion...but sounds like it may be a great place to start without too much of an investment. It's an option.

7. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Yeah it works in a band...I'm currently using one going thru a Marshall 4x12 cab. It sounds great!

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I tried to use a BJ in a band for a while, but it just doesn't have the fullness or bottom end of the DRRI. This was true even with it mic'd up running through the PA. I also found it pretty shrill at higher volumes. I actually ended picking up a used Hot Rod Deluxe that I liked the cleans on more than the DRRI. That is amp is gone now too to make room for my Fargen, but I would say go for the DRRI. It's a great amp for the $. Hey, it's good enough for Duke Robillard.

9. hasserl

hasserl Member

Here's another vote for holding out for the DRRI. In fact, why don't you consider a SF DR? Save your money and watch the ads. You might even find a SF Pro Reverb come up you could get for the same money.

10. david henman

david henman Member

...i had a blues jr for a few years and could never get anything beyond an adequate or mediocre sound, despite having a fender amp fanatic tech guy work on it several times. the reverb buzzed, the low end farted out badly and the master volume was completely unusable. couldn't do much with the tone controls, either. i eventually gave up and dumped it.

too bad, because the size and weight etc would seem to make it an ideal small combo.

-dh

11. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Just my two sense, but I wouldn't even consider buying a new Fender amp. My old singer bought a new twin for around $1000, and he coudl have had a silverface that was built and sounded better for $700.

I think a nice, player's silverface would be the ticket. Not a museum piece, but a nice deluxe or pro reverb.

The best sounding amp I ever had was a 65 Super reverb, all original that I scored for $900. They are loud, but my what a sound.

Second was my 66 pro I just sold. Plenty of volume, but I just found the Fender clean boring. I sold it for a Fargen Epic 30, which gives me fender and vox tones in one head. Pros are really underrated amps though, and I loved mine.

The Silverface Deluxes are nice too. Plenty loud for most gigs. My friend owns a vintage amp shop, and although his best piece is a 65 twin, he has a 72 deluxe with a celestion neo speaker that is his main gigger, sounds great, just like Johnny Marr! I think the rca blackplates help though!

I don't think a Blues Jr. can cut it over a loud band. Obviously people use them and they work great, but I haven't been lucky enough to have a PA setup good enough in the clubs we played. I like knowing I can always hear myself. Of course, we were a louder rock band, so that might be our issue. Personally, I like having 40 or 50 watts and turning down, than only having 15 and needing more.

Most important thing is to use your ears and buy what YOU want.

12. aeolian

aeolian Member

What does a used Rambler go for? That's a bit smaller than the DR, sounds more solid on stage than all but a really good built up vintage DR and sounds great at home. The BJ is great for at home and quiet rehearsals. But if you think you're going to head for jams or gigs within the next year or so, I'd hold out for something a bit more stage worthy.

13. Gregg_G

Gregg_G Member

I have both a DRRI and a BJ and I don't think it's a fair comparison - they're very very different amps at VERY different price points.

That said, I think both are great amps. There are well known issues with both amps (the BJ can sound boxy and farty in the bottom end and the DRRI can sound shrill/ice pick bright). ...

Check out http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bluesjunior.htm for mods that can dramatically improve a BJ.

14. pbass2go

pbass2go Member

Thanks again to all of you for your advice. As I read my origional posting I could see that I was leaning towards to DRRI. After I save up the green to go get it, I will post and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again...

Cheers.....

15. sandman

sandman Member

pbass2go,

sorry if I'm interrupting yr thread but I have a similar dilemma.

I'm a Twin player and I need somethin' smaller - I'm thinkin Blues Jr. or Silverface Deluxe.That's what's available where I live and with some luck I could find a Deluxe for the price of a new B.Jr or less.

What's the consensus on Silverface Deluxes? Speakers to avoid? Mods?

I haven't played a Deluxe for a while, is it noticably louder than a Blues Jr.?

thanx