Blues Jr. suprise.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brownface, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Brownface

Brownface Member

I used to own one of these, and at the time I thought is was ok. Not real thrilled with it. It and some other things got swapped out a few years back. I needed a pretty clean amp for a song I'm working on, and a friend let me borrow it. I ran a Barber Barb Q in front of it, along with an LTD SR, and wow, I was pleasantly suprised. Nice a clean with the BQ. I like my vintage amps, but for some things this little dude is pretty cool. Anyone else suprised by them?

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I like the pro jr better, but the Blues Jr is a fine amp. It goes to show that you don't always need a crazy expensive amp to sound good.

dk

3. Brownface

Brownface Member

AMEN. When I think of a new tone I want I automatically think $$$$$$. Thank God for cheap once in a while!!

4. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Big Time!!! My Blues Junior with the Bill mod is the biggest pedal whore I have ever played. Anything and I mean ANYTHING sounds good in front of that amp. Check out my youtube clips. Even Fuzz pedals sound great going in to it....without OD even! Crazy. Best bargain in the amp world IMO.

...but the mod is what really makes it special.

http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bluesjunior.htm

-Chris

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Do you know if Bill does any mods to the HRDx?

6. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

Not on his Blue Jr. site, but here's a well known site about the HRDX:
    http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

It's got mods, reliability enhancing strategies, etc.

7. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

:mobHeresy! Are you saying you can get good tone without spending 2K on an amp?

But seriously, it's nice to see some appreciation for the Juniors around here--there's a good reason Fender has sold a bazillion of these--solid tube tone in a nice little package at a great price.

8. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i use 2 pro jrs for a stereo rig. people are floored by the tone and how big it sounds. being old, fat and lazy, it's the perfect rig. i've never had to mic it just to keep up with the band. i still get an occasional " can you turn it down i can't hear the drink orders" but joke 'em if they can't take a ...

9. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I like the Pro Jr better too.....but the Blues Junior is nice as well.....and I agree 100% that you don't need to spend a bunch of money to have a quality amp/tone....

10. fish78

fish78 Member

Anybody compare the SCXD to the Pro and Blues JR models? Also anybody doing any mods to the SCXD?

11. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Lots of Blues Jr love here. Good tubes do make a big difference in this little guy. I agree with the others who said this amp really takes pedals well! Currently its my favorite living room amp!
    Try some 5751 preamp tubes to really smooth the amp out...

12. virtualblues

virtualblues Supporting Member

Brownface, you're right on the money. I think the only mod a Blues Junior needs is swap the speaker out for an EVM12L, it fits. It adds some weight but it makes the amp about twice as loud, broadens the amp's frequency response and enhances everything about the amp.

13. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I haven't tried the Pro jr for a while but rejected it on the basis of it having a honky tone, blaming it on the little 10" speaker/cab. How do they compare to the BJ, side by side, stock?

14. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

you wanna have some real fun, hook your pro jr up to a 4x12. AAARGH, AAARGH,AAARGH,AAARGH

15. Brownface

Brownface Member

I have a vintage 30 in this Jr. right now, and it's doing pretty well. I just go back from playing it for a week, and I honestly think I need a little stronger speaker believe it or not. Still love it though.

16. Brownface

Brownface Member

I just put an EVM12L in it and there is a huge difference. Little more headroom so I can use pedals to get what I want. I have a friend who had 2 of them. It never works that way! Much better IMO.

17. tone4days

tone4days Member

is that a new 'reissue' EVM 12-L or an older one?

18. hasserl

hasserl Member

I just got done working on one of these. A friend from my blues jam group asked me if I would do the Bill M mods on it. Bill M Mods, what's that? NEver heard of 'em. That's when I did a google search and found out there's this whole Bill M Blues Jr mod world out there. Looking into the mods I really didn't see anything that interested me, I told the guy I'll take care of it for you, but I'll do mods my way.

The biggest complaint he had was with the Reverb, lot's of noise. I did rewire the circuit similar to Bill M's mod, but I took it to a different place in the preamp, then reworked the circuit for better tone and mix with the dry. Then I worked on overall tone on the amp and found that the biggest single thing you can do, which is also the cheapest, is simply turn up the Master Volume. The MV on those amps just sucks the tone out of them, crank it up and let the power tubes work and it comes alive. I did do some minor reworking of the circuit, mostly to kick the gain up a notch, and I'm very happy with it. The stock speaker is crap, it just crumbles real bad whenever you push the amp hard, and the pressboard cab doesn't help. Plug that bad boy into a good extension cab and you'll be blown away. For voume reduction get a nice attenuator and leave that MV cranked, it's a cool little amp!

I'll post my mods soon as I write up the paper.

19. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Yeah, especially if you've just dumped $2k into a boutique head, you're likely to soil yourself

20. Brownface

Brownface Member

The EV is a new one I'm assuming. I think he bought an extension 2x12 cab that had an EV and Vintage 30, and then there was a spare of each in the deal. I got the spares. The cab was probably 4 years old. The spare is brand new looking.

Also, how are you running an extension on the Jr.? The only see a footswitch input in the back.