• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Blues Jr. Tone Issue

Mezoro

Hi Friends,
I have two late model Blues Jr.s and I like them. They are both equipped with Jensen speakers, with which I am happy. One of the amps is considerably brighter than the other. I figure they are alike so it must be a component issue. I don't care to modify these amps. I like what they do. The brighter one is just too bright. I spent years on the road getting these things as backline rentals, so I have a good idea about how they should sound. I'm figuring that the first thing I should try is swapping preamp tubes, especially the first one. I have some NOS RCA power tubes, but my instincts tell me that the power tubes are not the likely culprits. I suspect that the cheapo preamp tubes from who-knows-where are likely inconsistent.

What do you folks think?

WillLane

Hi Friends,
I have two late model Blues Jr.s and I like them. They are both equipped with Jensen speakers, with which I am happy. One of the amps is considerably brighter than the other. I figure they are alike so it must be a component issue. I don't care to modify these amps. I like what they do. The brighter one is just too bright. I spent years on the road getting these things as backline rentals, so I have a good idea about how they should sound. I'm figuring that the first thing I should try is swapping preamp tubes, especially the first one. I have some NOS RCA power tubes, but my instincts tell me that the power tubes are not the likely culprits. I suspect that the cheapo preamp tubes from who-knows-where are likely inconsistent.

What do you folks think?
If the amps are the exact same model, but different tubes, then your quickest solution would be to use identical tubes of the same life throughout the amps. Another issue may be one of the speakers is not as broken is as the other. Some of the Blues Jrs do have different sounds dependent upon the model and time of production, but you say you have "late models".

swiveltung

I agree more likely pre tubes than power tubes. I'm not sure if different years had some changes in those amps...? Have you checked to see if the when turned all the way down that the tone knobs are all "zeroed" identically?

xtian

Gold Supporting Member
Just swap all tubes from one amp to another. Then you will have put that question to bed.

Unlikely to be tubes, though. In my experience, tubes make SUBTLE differences in tone, subtler still when not being overdriven.

Mezoro

Just swap all tubes from one amp to another. Then you will have put that question to bed.

Unlikely to be tubes, though. In my experience, tubes make SUBTLE differences in tone, subtler still when not being overdriven.
Smart idea! Thanks!

TimmyP

If the pot tapers are far enough off, equal settings would not give an equal result. See if you can adjust the bright one to suit you before playing about with tubes.

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
Did you buy each brand new? If not, one or both may have had some mods done. Clipping the bright cap is a common one.

pula58

Gold Supporting Member
The Blues Jr. third generation has a circuit that is noticeably brighter than the preceding generations--->A capacitor that filters out some of the highs is omitted in the Blues Jr. III.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom