Blues Jr. VS. Classic 20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hiftbso, Jun 30, 2006.

1. hiftbso

hiftbso Member

I need a decent small amp for home pratice and grab and go jams. I like EL84 amps and don't want to drop a grand on a 1x12 combo. I plan on using the amp for pure clean tones and running my full pedal board into it for OD. I have heard the Blues Jr. doesn't get along to well with OD pedals. Anybody out there with one of these fell free to chim in. I also would consider the Carvin Vintage 16, Mesa Subway Blues, or a Fender Deluxe Reverb but the Deluxe would be at the top of my spending limit.
    Mark

2. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I had a classic 20 and hated it. Buzzy, fizzy and not vibey at all.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The Blues Jr. is not bad with pedals. I just did not like it altogether. I found it thin and boxy sounding. There was really none of the bottom end I wanted. I put a Jensen P12N speaker in and still didn't like it. There are mods that can be done to improve things, but I just decided to sell it and move on the Hot Rod Deluxe.
    I was recently in GC and was really impressed with the Crate tube combo. I forget the model #, but it is the blonde tolex with the gold emblems. Pretty nice tones for not a lot of $.
    I would suggest the Deluxe Reverb out of your list. You will regret it in the long run if you buy an inferior amp just to save a little cash. You can find DRRI's all day long on Craigslist, ebay and even here in the emporium. The purchase volume on the DRRI is so high that there are always mint condition ones for a couple hundred off the new price.

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I have a Blues Jr. (green board) and a Peavey Delta Blues, which I understand is a very similar circuit to their Classic series. Based on this, I think the Peavey would take pedals a bit better than the BJ. I've found the Peavey's clean channel to be quite good. The lead channel can be buzzy and fizzy as Gas-man says (though not sure he's referring to the dirty channel).

5. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I've found that I prefer the sound of the vintage 16 over the blues jr for my purposes. very similar amps in terms of features and price range. the theory is, however you get a better built amp with the carvin for the same price because you buy direct and aren't paying the middle man (guitar center).

6. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I had a Classic 20 and it did not like pedals, even after a speaker change. The Blues Jr I have after turning it into a 2x12 combo and changing the tubes to NOS takes pedals well and sounds friggin' excellent!

7. bluesgeek

bluesgeek Member

I have a Delta Blues and agree with the comments about the lead channel. I put some Mullards in and a Jensen p15n and its altogether a different animal now :) I keep playing with that dirty channel :)

Classic 20 is a different amp altogether, I've tried a couple and although I have mates who love them, they just didn't impress.

8. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

How about a Pro Jr? I Don't own one, but have played several and they are great values for small portable practice and/or backup amps. I am thinking of picking one up soon.

The Carvin Vintage 16 seems like a great little amp as well.. especially with the ability to switch down to 5 watts.

9. slowburn

re: the carvin...

if you buy new they come with celesion speaker and groove tubes. both probably better than the blues jr.

10. RKHIII

RKHIII Member

I have a lacquered tweed Blues Junior and it along with my 1965 Vibrolux Reverb are the two amps in my collection I tend to gravitate toward when trying out various pedals.

11. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I see a lot of people don't like the Fender jr's.

How much would you actually pay for one?

12. royd

royd Member

+1 on the Peavey.
    I have a Delta Blues 210 that I payed about $300 for and re-tubed and swapped one of the speakers... it is a great amp. I find myself wanting to need to replace it but bang-for-the-buck, I can't justify spending a grand plus on another amp.

13. el_goodo

el_goodo Member

If you can find it the Subway Blues is the way to go! I love mine. If you want a bluesy tone, this amp has it. I through my strat onto that amp and it's a joy.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Both amps sound and feel kind of limited to me. My preference goes to the Classic 20. I gave one to my buddy, and play it often around his apartment. Good for non-drummer situations. Can get some decent sound (clean only, forget that distortion button) with a tele. In truth, I'd pick up the Delta Blues 1x15 and be done with it. Several steps up in capability. A whole lot of amp for the size and money.

15. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

My Delta Blues with single 15 does indeed push alot of air. I usually keep the bass dimed. Gives a great klangy SRV type sound. Great for blues and excellent with a Strat neck pickup. However, switching to the drive channel or hitting the boost switch seems to disengage all this bass.

16. hiftbso

hiftbso Member

Thanks for all the replies so for. I thought I would elaborate on my goal with this amp. To start I have a 70s Fender Champ (bedroom amp), Fender Hot Rod 2x12 w/ Vin 30s (good all purpose clean amp), VHT Pitbull 45 (great vox tones), and a Mesa MKIII & Mesa 50/50 (over the top powerhouse rig). So I want something inbetween the Champ and the 2x12 Hot Rod. I'd loke to keep it under 20 watts & 30 lbs so I guess I'm leaning toward the Carvin 16 or the Mesa Subway now but if you have any great amp in that range lets hear about it.
    Mark

17. slowburn

as far as the carvin vintage 16 vs mesa subway, both are very similar (half watt switch, el84 powered, similar control panel). the carvin is available new, the mesa you'd have to find it on ebay or something. the mesa does have some features that the carvin does not, however: recording lineout, effects loop (I think), etc... but the carvin is like 10 lbs lighter (I think the mesa is like around 40lbs), if weight is an issue.

18. slowburn

19. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

i vote blues junior, my friend has one and he did the bill m mods and it sounds aweosme

20. silentstudios

silentstudios Member

+1 on the Billm mods. I bought one to replace a victoria bassman (pocket some $$$ and save my back). While the Vic is clearly a better amp, I like the billm for having it's own unique character, taking pedals well, and being dead sexy.