Blues Jr w/ Effects Loop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by IndyMead, Apr 27, 2015.

1. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

I dig the sound of my Blues Jr. with the pre amp volume cranked and the master to wherever I need. The only problem I ever run into is that I need to use delay from time to time and it sounds terrible going into the front of my cranked Blues Jr. What amps out there have a similar setup and sound to the Blues Jr. but also have an effects loop? The Classic 30 is the only thing that coming to mind right now.

2. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Hot Rod Deluxe (III). It's essentially a Blues Junior with a better preamp config, 6L6s, and a loop. Yes...I'm oversimplifying, but basically right?

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

And a second channel. The HRD III sounds better than the BJ to me. Not really similar amps

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  4. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

I have a HR Deville 212 (early model) that sounds nothing at all like my Blues Jr on it's gain channel. Maybe the V3 versions are different though.

5. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Agree completely. I was hinting at that with the "better preamp config" comment. I should have been more detailed.

And I wasn't even counting the Drive channel...since majority of people don't use it. Although the Drive channel on the III version is much much better.

6. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

I see what you're saying and I agree that the deluxe and deville sound better when played clean. But I don't play anywhere where I can really crank those amps up to get a dirty sound. I'm looking for the crunchy drive sound that I like out of my blues jr but at moderate volume. Maybe I should have mentioned this in the original post...I'm exploring the idea of moving away from pedals and getting an amp that I actually like the drive sound. When I play at home I just plug straight into the blues jr and go and I find that really satisfying. I want that but with the ability to use a delay pedal.

7. joeprs

joeprs Member

Perhaps someone might be able to suggest a different delay that will work better in the front of your amp than the one you're using.
    I understand that time based effects normally sound better through a loop, but I'm sure there might be some that will be okay through the front. Many people have amps without a loop and put a delay in the front.
    IndyMead, are you using any other pedals besides the delay? If so, maybe rearranging them would yield better results.
    Just a thought.

8. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

Not with my Blues jr. I get all my drive from the amp. My delay is last in the chain but that's irrelevant with my Blues Jr. sense I don't use the other drives with it. My signal chain is in my sig for reference.