Blues Jr with no sound

DeWayne355

I searched the existing threads and did not see anything tied to my question, so I apologize up front if this is an oft asked query.

My Fender Blues Jr NOS (MIM) has died, it emits no sound beyond the sweet hum of a Fender stock transformer. The power tubes are still glowing bright but V1 and V3 are totally with no glow while V3 shows a tiny spec of glow. Looking at the tubes they all show no obvious signs of burnout, at least not that I can see, but this is a 6 year old amp still pushing the original tubes. I could see no signs of a failed cap, no indications of a burned transistor or resistor, didn't think to break out the multimeter.

Is it just dead tubes in need of replacement or should I look at something else before splurging on new tubes?

DeWayne355

Are V1-3 getting hot?
No background hiss/hum?
No end of world crash if the reverb tank is banged?
Thanks for your quick response.
V1-V3 are not even warm. V1 and V3 show no signs of life, V2 has a very small orange dot visible about the midpoint.
The transformer hums a bit, I attribute this to it being a stock Fender transformer that has hummed since day 1; it does cease once it warms up.
No sound from the reverb when the cab is bumped.

pdf64

There must be a break in the circuit that feeds the heaters, between V4 and V3. If you can solder competently it may be a DIY fix, otherwise it’s a visit to the tech.

DeWayne355

Thanks, I'll go take a look. Here's hoping all she needs is a little solder. Probably wouldn't hurt to retube it, but when your poor you do what you can. Thanks again for your help.

DeWayne355

pdf64 Not sure what I did but it makes sound once again, and without that annoying Fender transformer buzz. I waited until I could devote enough time to give it a thorough inspection. Checked continuity across all the heater pins while carefully inspecting each tube then making sure they were firmly seated when plugged back in to their sockets. Everything was good so I began inspecting every wire from end to end, all I found was one of the hot wires pressing against a terminal post, the insulation was okay but I bent it so that it no longer touched. All I can figure is it just wanted a rest from playing the blues. Tubes do need to be changed but not immediately. Thanks once again for your assistance with my problem.

Trending Topics