Blues Jr's as Cabs with Mesa Boogie Mk III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mamtroth, Feb 12, 2015.

1. mamtroth

mamtroth Member

Hey everybody, I've been using Fender Blues Jr.'s for a while, but am about to buy a Mesa Boogie Mk. III head. I was wondering if anyone had any input as to whether or not it would be okay to use a 1x12 Blues Jr. or two as cabs for the Mesa Head? I don't really have any experience with using amp heads and separate cabs (I've mostly used combos) so I'd be needing to use the BJr's as the cabs until I could get or build something more suited for the Mesa.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

2. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

You'd need some cables to connect to the Mark III, but it could work. I can't imagine those small cabs doing the Mark much justice though.

3. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

This. Cheap Thiele cabs can be had on CL. Those Blues Jrs are MDF aren't they?

4. mamtroth

mamtroth Member

I'm not sure if the BJr's are MDF or not. They're just pretty normal combo cabs. My old Blues Jr.'s circuit board fried, but the speaker is still fine. I was just thinking for now I'd just run the Mk III into the Jensen it has, and maybe pair it with the other tweed BJr. I have and bypass it's preamp.

I'd think it couldnt be too different from having a 1x12 Mk III combo would it? Ultimately I'd like a 2x12 cab though, what would be something good to look into. I like simplicity, reliability, and low maintenance.

Grazie!

5. JackStraw12

Didn't mean to be rude by that comment. I think the Hotrod and Blues Jr. series are MDF, which some people don't like. I've yet to try a Jensen with a Mark III, however I enjoyed EVM12L and Vintage 30 speakers with it. I have my Steamboat Hemp 100 in a tie dyed DRRI cab, which may in fact be MDF. Sounds great to me.

6. mamtroth

mamtroth Member

Oh, no problem - I wasn't picking up on any. I guess ultimately what I'm really asking is are there any basic specs a speaker / cab needs to have to be compatible with a Mesa Boogie Mk. III? Like ohms, wattage, etc.?

Sorry, I'm not very well versed in all this stuff!

7. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Go for it! Just match impedance's. I just picked up a Mesa S.O.B. and I've found that it sounds best through a old Peavey KB 1x15 combo that found in the garbage. I just pulled the chassis out and hooked up a 1/4" jack to plug into. Works and sounds great!

8. mamtroth

mamtroth Member

Awesome, it's really just temporary while I work on getting a 2x12 cab set up. Is it pretty easy to run a Mk III into 2 separate 1x12 cabs? Because with both my blues jr.s I can have that 2x12 option effectively if I ever need the power before I have something better.

9. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Download a manual from the Mesa website. Lots of good info

10. Ilduce

One other thing. Be very careful as far as how loud you go, I'd bet that the speakers in your BJ aren't rated to high (as far as watts).

11. jujube

jujube Member

Best to use a Boogie cab with an EVM 12L or Altec 417-8H speaker.

12. mamtroth

mamtroth Member

The Blues Jr.'s are 15 watt combo amps. I'm not sure what kind of power the speakers can take. I know the Mk. III is a 60 watt amp. How high do you think I could run the mesa before damaging the speakers?

I usually use pretty clean tones with amps pretty low and don't like the amp to break up much, just a little more punch / meat from some hot tubes.

13. joeprs

joeprs Member

Get 2 female to female 1/4" adapters, make sure you're using speaker cables, not guitar cables. Set the ohms on the Mesa on 8 ohms if you're using one speaker and 4 ohms if you're using 2 speakers. I think the Fenders are 8 ohm, and you should be okay.

As others have stated above, don't play too loud because those speakers are for a 15 watt amp.

If you were to take the speakers out and put them in a 2 x 12 cabinet, it would sound much better, but I realize it's only a temporary set-up until you can purchase a proper 2 x 12 cab.

Enjoy

14. Ilduce

I think the easiest way to answer your question is to say, don't run the Boogie any louder than you have run the BJ. Imho

15. mamtroth

mamtroth Member

Awesome,

Thanks so much for the input everyone, I feel a lot more comfortable with my options now. Looking forward to getting everything set up and to hear what it produces!

16. JackStraw12

Also, I believe the speaker jacks are paralleled internally. At least that's how it is on my Mesa Express(ive) 5:25+ whereas if I plus in two 8 ohm cabinets then the amp sees a 4 ohm load.