Blues Jr's hold their own!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 9fingers, Oct 7, 2008.

1. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I was a judge on the panel of the Appachian Blues Competition in WV Saturday. Needless to say many bands went by, & as a guitar player, I checked out all their rigs. For amps, there was one Collins JTM45 clone & ALL trhe rest of the amps were Fenders, some Twins & several Hot Rods, from Deluxes to Devilles. It was a medium large room and all the amps were miced. It was interesting that 2 of the lead players, who obviuously could chose from many different amps, played through Blues Jr's. Their tones were among the fullest, warmest, clearest, and most "tubey" of the day. I asked & neither of the BJ's was modded. One of the BJ guys played a 2 HB Tele, and the other played an LP (especially killer thru the BJ). Pretty amazing for 15 watters that can be had for $350 used.

I have a BJ that I haven't used in a while- might have to fire it back up!

2. doyle o'brian

doyle o'brian Supporting Member

Great amp. I just recently talked my brother into buying one. I think they have a great clean sound and sound amazing cranked. It seems to have a tweedish overdrive, but fatter and smoother than other tweeds I've played.

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

my blues jr. kicked my drri to the storage area of my basement under its cover. . .

great for live playing. while some people call it 'boxy', i find that that little box cuts RIGHT THROUGH any mix . . . especially sitting on a milk crate.

350 used these days? i got mine new for that. .. jeebus. wasn't THAT long ago. . . got one for one of my students only two (maybe three) years ago. also new. . . for 350. . . though, at the time, the sticker was 400.

4. Dale

Dale Member

Love mine!

5. bgood

bgood Member

I sort of miss mine sometimes even though I'm playing through a Mission 5E3 clone and a Rivera R55. It had stuff that neither of these amps have. Good amp and wouldn't mind revisiting one but probably never will - would rather build than buy at this point.

6. 9fingers

"i find that that little box cuts RIGHT THROUGH any mix . . . especially sitting on a milk crate".
    Yeah, the word is that they sound better up off the floor, on a crate, chair, drum case, taller stand etc.

7. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

I played one for the first time yesterday because a friend wanted a second opinion. I said "buy it"!! I kind of want one myself...

8. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

I really cant stand the "boxiness".
    Im curious if a speaker change or some of the BillM mods would change this.
    I thought with time the sound would grow on me but it just hasnt.

9. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Do they still sound boxy miced through the PA?

10. 9fingers

The 2 I heard at the blues competition did not sound "boxy" through the PA - very full & warm with good bottom. They sounded every bit as good through the PA as the other larger Fender amps that day. Both were stock with pedals in front of them for leads.
    (I did put a Reverend Alltone 1250 in mine, which opened it up somewhat more, tho the sound was quite nice stock).

11. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Stole mine for $125. I play it through a 2X12 closeback with greenies. No boxiness.

12. spence

spence Member

Hey 9fingers,
    Who won that competition this year? I was fortunate enough to have played in Memphis for the finals a few years ago. It was a great experience.

Spence

13. MickUF

MickUF Member

prob not worth the effort but is there a way to have an external cab on a BJr and also have the combo speaker engaged? I have an 8 ohm cab I use on the amp and it sounds good but would love to have both. I know it has just the 8ohm jack on it so is it possible to wire up some contraption to make 8ohms using the onboard speaker with an external cab. Im going to say no as there would be a bunch of wires everywhere and wouldnt be practical. I just cant see hauling around the speaker if you cant use it when using an external cab.

M

14. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Put a Swamp Thang and some new TAD EL84s in there and will sing even better!

15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I hated - truly despised - the tone on the one I owned back around 2000 but I understand, since then, Fender, changed the circuit board, design, and components. I really should try another one day.

16. 9fingers

Spence, The electric blues winners of the Appalachian Blues competition were Ms. Freddye & Blue Faze (the guitarist used the LP through BJ & sounded GREAT, one of the reasons I started this thread). The acoustic winner was Sam Lamont. They will be going to the IBC in Memphis.

17. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

I agree, the blues JR is good for blues

18. madscientist

madscientist Member

+10000

absolutely huge sounding speaker....works wonders in my Blues Jr.

19. frank62

frank62 Member

I love mine. JJ tube set, Greenback, and a Smith Sound Enhancer that really opens up the sound of the amp and gets rid of the "boxiness".

20. Forbidden

Forbidden Member

It's my main gigging amp unless I can take something bigger like my XTC/Shiva or Fuchs TDS100. Sounds just as good though with some pedals in front of it. I love my Blues Junior :)