1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Blues Junior NOS vs. Vox AC15C1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ZepFuzz05, May 23, 2011.

1. ZepFuzz05

ZepFuzz05 Supporting Member

In looking for a low-powered tube combo with reverb, I've begun focusing primarily on these two since they fall right at the $600 price point and seem pretty evenly matched. How do they compare, and does right vastly outshine the other in terms of build or sound quality?

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Almost anything is better than a Blues Junior, although for $600, neither would be high on my list.

3. ZepFuzz05

What other reverb-equipped combos would you say outperform them in that price range? I'm definitely interested in other options, the aforementioned ones just seemed like the most obvious choices.

4. thedroid

thedroid Member

I'd take the AC15 any day, but they have different sounds. Have you tried both to see which one you prefer?

5. ZepFuzz05

I haven't gotten a chance to try out both simultaneously, but I have played the Vox and enjoyed it quite a bit. . .are there any other options for a great, sub $1,000 combo with reverb and trem? The lower the wattage, the better. . .

6. ES330

ES330 Member

The new Blues JR III does sound different from the previous BLues JR.
    I far prefer the new III.

The Blues JR will have more headroom than the VOX.

7. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

I'd take (and in fact did take) the AC15, but if you want decent Fender cleans, there's nothing wrong with the Blues Jr, despite what people say.

8. ZepFuzz05

I'm actually not looking for cleans, really. I'm primarily concerned with getting a good, rich tube overdrive at low volumes with good quality reverb and tremolo. By all indications, it seems like the AC15 is the way to go. . .

9. kwaping

kwaping Guitar payer Silver Supporting Member

I have a Blues Jr II with the Jensen speaker (tweed GC special). If you're looking for a good reverb, look elsewhere. Also, it has no built-in trem at all.

10. ken374

ken374 Member

I m selling a mint 2 week old blues Jr III $400 if interested, there close to my vox but the vox in cleaner sounding but cost way more and better built

11. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

look no further then, that's the AC15 in a nutshell. the greenback speaker is fantastic for overdriven tones. crank that amp and you will get a huge lead tone. I toyed with the idea of replacing the greenback with a blue, but I'm enjoying the greenback so much, I don't think I'll bother.

12. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I would not say the ac15 has a rich tube drive at all. To me it sounds a bit more brittle or fizzy if you will. The bj probably has a drive closer to that description, but as a whole I think it sounds boxy.

I would look into another amp other than those two for what you are describing.
    As for the trem, just use a pedal.

13. straticus

straticus Member

I've played tons of Blues Juniors, including the new models, and didn't like any of them. Just horrible sounding amps IMHO. I've also played the Vox ac15c1 and then ........I bought one. Great amp! Huge bang for the buck. I haven't gigged with it yet, but I have taken it to a few jams and it sounds great and holds it's own in a band situation.

As usual, YMMV.

14. ZepFuzz05

Hmmm. . .good to know. Do you have any specific recommendations for other amps in the 1k (or below, preferably) range that do this well? There's a part of me that's really intrigued by the "Chihuahua" by Allen Amplification, but I would have to sacrifice the trem. . .

15. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

I have a Chihuahua. It's a wonderful amp. It's not a powerful amp, but has a sweet and pure tone. I have used it mic'd playing in small bars and it sounds great.
    I had a NOS Jr for a few years and I had no complaints. It was a lot louder, no problem playing out with it. I read a number of posts here trashing the tone but mine sounded great to me. But two people can play through the same amp and sound completely different from one another

16. Dendog

Dendog Member

I've been using a Vox AC15 every weekend for the last 3+ years. No it doesn't have as much headroom as Blues Jr, so the cleans are a little dirty but they have the Vox chime. And when you crank this amp the distortion is thick and complex. Plenty loud in a trio situation, or 4 piece long as the other guitar player is not playing something like a 50 watt Marshall. The master volume actually works well, but be forewarned the reverb is trash. It's not P2P but the build quality is very good. I was going to get a Blue but about a month after I got it the stock Wharfedale (yes the one so many people love to hate) started to sound great so I kept it. Just wait for one of the online retailers to put on a 20% off sale and you can get it for under 5. That's what I did. I think the Blues Jr is a nice sounding amp, but I don't think it sounds very good cranked.

17. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

Blues Jr Limited Edition won out over the AC15 for me. The regular Blues Jr sounded boxey, but the LI with the Celestion Vintage 30 sounded much fuller, better bass and not boxey at all. It also takes all pedals like a champ, all my overdrives sound super nice and are very easy to dial in. Also sounds amazing cranked!

The AC15's chime was nice and cleans are a lot different than the Jr, but it was super picky about pedals. Most drives sounded harsh, and it was hard to dial in a good sound. It also needed an EQ pedal to really dial it in, and even then it didn't sound nearly as good as the Jr. Lacked the lower end that the Jr had. Didn't sound as nice cranked either, to brittle sounding and notes didn't decay as nice as the Jr. It was also waaay heavier than the Jr which is an issue for me looking at small amps. If I want something that heavy I'll just bring my Mesa Electra Dyne combo.

18. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

^^^ That is a point worth considering if you're looking for a grab 'n' go amp, as Vox amps tend to be heavier than comparable Fenders. You can get good tones from either, although you might find a need to change speakers, depending on which variation you get.

19. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I play a hand wired AC30 which I love. For smaller gigs I have a Tweed Blues Jnr with a Celestion G12H100. I figured that since I love the AC30 so much, I might trade my Blues Jnr for an AC15. My friend owns a music store, so I was able to take my pedalboard and guitar and try the AC15 against my Blues Jnr for about an hour at full volume in the studio behind his store.

For me there is absolutely no contest - the Blues Jnr was a much warmer, fuller sounding amp. That was totally against all of my expectations - I really expected to go home with the AC15.

Everyone to their own, but the Blues Jnr sounds much better to my ears. Much lighter carry too.

20. 777

777 Member

That is so true. They are very different sounding amps to my ear. I think that most people would agree with that.

However I had the opposite outcome. While I thought the Blues Jr sounded good, it didn't 'excite' me. When I heard the AC15C1, I heard that chimey, almost 'bratty' tone that I heard in my head. I guess that I didn't want 'warm'. I wanted 'bite'.

To the original poster, I would say, go play both and see what appeals to your ear.