Blues Junior or Blues Deluxe

aleiberman

Mainly for home use but the Blues Junior seems kind if dull. I have never tried a Blues Deluxe, outside of a store, and I thought the tone was decent. How much better of an amp is it? I will probably stick a WGS Et-65 either.

If you had a choice, what would you go with and why?

Thanks

aleiberman

I have a nice Swart 5 watter so dont think i have much place for the 15w blues jr. The deluxe might be a better compliment. Was thinking about a drri, but think i prefer the slightly more modern tone of the blues deluxe.

swiveltung

I know a few pros that have used the BD for years. I think they are a killer sounding amp. Loud. Very different than a BJ due to the BJ's EL84 power tubes. For home the BD may be too much.... if you like the EL84 sound of the BJ.

dewey decibel

Mainly for home use but the Blues Junior seems kind if dull. I have never tried a Blues Deluxe, outside of a store, and I thought the tone was decent. How much better of an amp is it? I will probably stick a WGS Et-65 either.

If you had a choice, what would you go with and why?

Thanks

I'm not a fan of the BJ, but IMO the Blues Deluxe is a stage amp, not an at home amp. At the least you'll want to swap out the volume pot as the stock pot is super touchy and difficult to dial in, especially at lower volumes.

harvey j

I'm not a fan of the BJ, but IMO the Blues Deluxe is a stage amp, not an at home amp. At the least you'll want to swap out the volume pot as the stock pot is super touchy and difficult to dial in, especially at lower volumes.
I had a blues deluxe, and it worked perfect at home, and it is 5 times the amp the blues jr is.

philamag87

Platinum Supporting Member
I have both amps. The BJ was a very good at home amp, it's my practice amp and I even used it for a couple of gigs. It's light and has a decent sound even with the stock speaker. But that being said I've outgrown it. Something changed with the sound and I can't figure out what. I've changed the filter caps and the tone caps and countless speakers.

The Blues Deluxe is my main gigging amp. Like someone said above definitely replace the volume pot with an audio taper, which I had done. I've used my BD as a practice amp too but it will be slightly louder than I like. I had the Omega mod done to mine and if I could do it again I wouldn't have done the mod.

Ive used the ET-65 in both amps and I didn't care for the sound of that speaker. I can't remember why in the BJ but for the BD it sucked the sparkle out. I much prefer the Eminence Texas Heat.

Which one? If I had to pick one, it would be the Blues Deluxe. I think you have more versatility with it. Just make sure you swap the volume pot. To help tame the volume you can use a 5751 in V1(which I currently use) and/or a volume box in the effects loop.

tycobb73

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned a Jr and currently have a deluxe. The d I'd better than the junior but I think my classic 30 is better than both. Currently trying to sell the deluxe.

IM4Tone

I have both. I like the tone and features of the BDRI more, but it can be a bit much (LOUD) for many in a home setting. I have no volume restrictions, so it's my preference.

Bluesidae

Had a Blues Jr. It was ok. BDRI is awesome. I play it at home. It is loud, but low volumes are possible and it does sound great.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
Agreed the BD not really a bedroom amp but still sounds good. I tried plenty of BJrs and never really found one I liked. If you can spend the extra cash a PRRI is great for home and still jamable in a studio or smaller gig. Or like Ty mentioned you can't beat a classic 30.

Rockerduck

The Blues jr. is a great gigging amp, loves any pedal, not so good at home. I didn't like the Blues deluxe because the bass got flubby when turn up. It wasn't good at home either. I didn't like the PRRI as it was picky with drive pedals, or at least mine., cleans were great. The Hot Rod Deluxe was more controllable on stage and didn't flub the bass. Not good at home. The Blues Cube "Hot" is great at home, great cleans, and takes pedals well and loud enough to gig. The Roland "Hot" is the best home amp I've had.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom