Blues Junior Speaker Upgrade............2016!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Boltagon, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

Yes this topic has been covered before but I am looking for post break in, been around the block impressions.

Leaning heavily towards a WGS ET65 or Reaper HP.

What say you?

2. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

The current stock speaker the Lightning Bolt actually sounds quite good. Much better than the old stock speaker. I picked up a used one that was well broken in. I put it in an 6 or 7 year old BJ with some Bill M. mods. After trying a number of other speakers, including a Cannabis Rex, Texas Heat, V-30, and CL-80, I have stuck with the Lightning Bolt.

jlagrassa likes this.
  3. 71strat

71strat Member

Fane F70

Celestion Cream.

Both sound really good with many EL84 amps. Fane is Ceramic, Celestion is Alnico.

I use 2 of the Celestion Creams with a Hayseed with outstanding results.

4. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

Interesting. I am actually replacing the old yellow version with the musical notes on it.

5. helrazr84

helrazr84 Member

Get the WGS 65.

I had in mine:
    Reissue Jensen stock, wasn't digging it.

UK Greenback, didn't care for it.

Old Celestion g12-65, liked it very much but hated to split up my collection of 4.

CRex, dark and dull, sold it. Put Celestion back in for the time being.

Decided to purchase WGS ET-65, jut as perfect as my Celestion 65. Great mids, great clarity, no fizz.

cuseman731, FM1968 and Boltagon like this.
  6. tone4days

tone4days Member

i am curious to try the neo cream when it becomes available - shave another few pounds off the thing on top of any tone improvement

7. myaudiodna

myaudiodna Member

I dug a greenback when I had mine, specifically a UK made greenback.

8. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

9. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I've read good reviews of the Lightning and ET65 speakers but haven't tried them. I had a Reaper HP and it's a great sounding speaker. Much better than the regular Reaper. It sounds like a cross between a Celeston and a Jensen, a Jensen with a little more mids I guess.

10. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

I have seen a lot of positive reviews for the Reaper HP in a Fender circuit. If am looking for a classic Fender sound would the HP be too mid forward?

11. Ken Zuercher

Ken Zuercher Member

If you are replacing the original Fender by Eminence, just about any of the favorites around here will sound good. I use Weber Signature 12B in the amps that i have been asked to upgrade as they sound really good and are very reasonably priced. I would think twice about putting a Vintage 30 in what's basically a $300 amp. Like putting JoeBarden pickups in a Squire Tele.

12. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The HP has just a little more mids and I don't think it's too much. It still gives the Fender sparkle (some Celestion type speakers don't) which is why I liked it.

Boltagon likes this.
  13. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

Cheers. Lots of great input.

14. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

By Celestion Cream do you mean Creamback? They are ceramic magnets except for the upcoming Neo Creamback

http://celestion.com/product/123/g12m65_creamback/

15. 71strat

71strat Member

Nope Not Creamback

Cream is a 90 Watt Alnico.

They came out with it Last Winter. 2015.

Its a nice speaker, and IMHO probably the nicest speaker Celestion has made in Decades. Its similar in Highs/Mids, to the Blue, with better Low End than the Gold, and 40 more watts than the Gold. Also loves OD, and any kind of pedals. Also is great in a sealed cabinet.

Kind of like a 90 Watt Blue with better lows. Works really nice in a lower watt amp. 100db.

I run 2 of them with both a Hayseed 30, and a Metro GMP45. It doesn't get any better than this. Only different.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Washburnmemphis and FM1968 like this.
  16. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

http://celestion.com/product/151/celestion_cream/
    [​IMG]

71strat likes this.
  17. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Thanks! Learn something new everyday :aok

18. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Just thought I would pass this along.
    A friend of mine came over with his recent Blues Jr today to test some speakers. He is looking for something to warm up the top end I think. I had these laying around so we hooked them up with an A/B box so we could compare with the stock speaker quickly going back and forth:
    Stock Speaker: (Emi?) Very in your face, loud upper mids very out front. A bit harsh and flat response to my ears.
    Weber C12-65 (G12-65 clone): He liked this one best. More scooped mids, a bit more low end than the stock speaker. To my ears is was very similar to the Legacy. But had maybe just a touch less high end sizzle.
    Weber Legacy 55 hz cone: Very close to the C12-65 to my ears.
    Emi GA SC64: Well balanced, nice clean lows and highs. ...but didn't subdue the highs .

Another thing of note: The back of a Blues Jr has little open area compared with a normal vintage Fender. Additionally the amp take up much of the space. I mentioned this to him and while he was playing and I held a piece of cardboard over the back of one of the cabs we were trying speakers in. It does make a difference. Suddenly bigger lows.
    And finally: Surprisingly, the stock speaker was much louder than those two particular Webers.

19. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

Went with the Warehouse Guitar Speakers ET65. Quite pleased. Really opens up the amp and fills in the sonic gaps. Nice sparkle. Smooth but by no means dull.

Steve112 likes this.
  20. stilwel

stilwel Member

I have Celestion V-Type speakers in my Blues Jr and HR Deluxe. This is the speaker used in the Landau HR Deville.