Blues Junior Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rumble5, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Hi. I've got a Blues Junior NOS coming because I needed a small, light, low wattage grab-and-go amp.

I'll give the stock Jensen in it a listen, but I feel pretty sure I'll be swapping it out for a British style speaker.

These are the ones I'm considering:

V30
    G12H
    Hellatone 30 (not sure which G12H version this is- the Heritage, Anniversary, etc.)
    I'd consider a Greenback, but I think I want something that's more efficient for this amp.

I'm looking for as much breakup as possible with the ability to dial in some strong mids. I play Americana, rock, maybe a little punk (in the vein of Neil Young, Tom Petty, Drive-by Truckers, the Ramones, Pearl Jam, etc.).

I mostly play a LP Jr Special w' P-90's, and I've got a LP Standard and a Tele w/ a humbucker and P-90 so all my guitars can push an amp pretty hard. My other amps are a '76 Marshall JMP thru two Hellatone 60L's, a '66 Pro Reverb thru two Weber Legacies, and a stock 2x12 Blues Deville if that gives you any idea about my tastes.

I'm looking for the pros and cons of using a V30 or the different versions of the G12H in a Blues Junior.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I have an Emi Wizard in mine. Extra headroom since it's an efficient speaker. Sounds pretty good to me

3. johnnyg88

johnnyg88 Member

Dunno if it means anything to you, but I played the same amp with a WGS ET65 (a British style speaker, based on the Celestion G1265) for a little over a year and it sounded awesome. The stock speaker is super bright to me and any dirty pedals sounded harsh, as well as the amp itself pushed. The ET65 was still bright ish to me but it was just right. The high wattage speaker kept it clean at a loud volume, it had a surprising amount of clean headroom for a 15 watt amp, seemingly more so than my new '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb RI.

4. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

The G12H30 is a good choice for that amp once broken in. I've also had good luck with a WGS ET-65.

But for single coils, the best sound I've gotten that provides warmth, breakup and clarity, while removing the boxiness that amp is known for, is an Emi C.Rex. get it broken in, roll off the bass knob down to around 9:00, increase midrange to 3:00, max out both volume controls and use the guitar volume knob with appropriate treble bleed cap to go from clean to overdrive.

5. WayneM

WayneM Member

I have a Blues Jr. III w/ a C. Rex and it is the best speaker for me....and I own many P-90 guitars.

6. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

I concur on the C. Rex.

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I just put in a Hellatone 25 in my BJ III it's Avatars version of a Greenback/G12H30 blend its 25 watts with a 50 oz magnet, I was going to get a Hellatone 30 but thought I would give the 25 a shot plus Avatar is selling them for $62 right now. Very solid sounding speaker and slightly warmer in the mids and highs compared to the G12H30 but still plenty of chime.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  8. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

9. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

I, too, love the CRex, but that has nothing to do with the OP's original question. He said he was looking for a British Voiced Speaker.
    He mentions 4 speakers that he wants to consider.
    None of them were Wizards or Crex's.

Pay attention people!

10. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Yes, I've read through that and it does have some good information. Just looking for a few more perspectives on those particular speakers.

11. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

I've seen this speaker, and having run Hellatone 60Ls with my Marshall for 8 years or so, I'm a fan of Avatar products even if they're mostly just relabeled and treated.

But I had a bad experience recently with the SA-40 speakers so I'm a little gun shy about the Hellatone production models (non-relabeled).

That's a good price, though, and an interesting option.

12. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Any more ideas on this? I figured there would be a lot of experience here with the BJ and those speaker combinations.

From looking through older threads it appears that the V30 might be a more common speaker swap. Maybe that's because since the V30 is supposed to have similar tonal qualities to an Alnico speaker it seems like a natural fit for this type of amp?

I think I'm leaning towards the G12H, though, for a few reasons:
    -It should have a relatively strong bass response and that might help mitigate the lack of bass due to the BJ's small cabinet.
    -I think a really aggressive speaker might add a little extra edge for the harder stuff I play.
    -Since the G12H is 30 watts the BJ might be able to push it a little harder into speaker distortion than the 60 watt V30, though I'm not sure about this.

Does this sound right?

13. gmann

gmann Member

Same here. Great speaker for that amp and it sounds esp. good with P90's.

14. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

The Eminence Wizard sounds like a G12H30, except it doesn't sound as harsh in the treble and costs less. And it is more efficient, 103dB