Blues Junior Tube Rattle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by packermann, Feb 16, 2008.

1. packermann

packermann Member

Anyone got any approaches/suggestions for me to try to minimize my Blues Junior tube rattle? Any products out there that work to buffer the vibration?

2. mds

mds Member

I'm dealing with the same thing from a BJr I just picked up...there are dampers on ebay. Silicon rings you put on the tubes...they're cheap, so I'm going to try it...it seems like it would work well to wedge something between the cabinet and the tubes, but it would have to be able to handle an awful lot of heat, especially if you haven't adjusted the bias down from stock.

I think the tubes in mine might be a little iffy too, so I'm going to experiment with that. EL84s don't like combo amps, unfortunately...

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Tubes, in general, don't like combo amps. It's not a good idea to put devices that don't like to be vibrated 6 inches from a speaker.

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

While the issue may indeed be tube rattle, there are also numerous postings
    about the metal name plate on the back of the amp causing a rattle.

I've heard some users also re-mount the chassis with small rubber bushings
    to help absorb some of the rattle.

5. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Loose aluminum rivets can also be a source of rattles. If it's too tight spaced and/or fragile to flatten them tight, a little silicone in the gap can quiet them down.

6. mds

mds Member

In my amp it is definitely the tubes rattling, specifically the el84s. Not sure if other tubes would rattle less. It has that spring bracket on it, but I'm not sure if that helps or just adds to the rattle. The reverb might rattle a bit too...I might take reverb out since I don't like how it sounds anyways...everything else in the amp seems pretty solid...