blues junior ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DK207, Jul 22, 2008.

1. DK207

DK207 Member

I'm going to pick up a blues jr, and had a speaker question. I am deciding between the regular blues jr and the tweed NOS version. The tweed model has a Jensen speaker and is $50 more. Besides the obvious cooler look of the tweed lacquer exterior, is the Jensen speaker worth the extra $?

thanks in advance

2. mooreamps

mooreamps Senior Member

I would !!!! If you get the Jensen speaker, at least you will know what your getting.

-g

3. DK207

DK207 Member

Thanks, that is what I was thinking.

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If you cab try both, side by side, do it!
    Then YOU will know.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

fifty bucks is a good price for that speaker upgrade. it MAY even have some better tubes, but i don't remember anymore. add the cool tweed and fifty bucks is a darn good deal.

i love my blues junior. i will always have it.

peace

6. P90Nut

P90Nut Member

I would pay the extra just for the tweed. The stock speaker & tubes need to be replaced on the standard model. I put a Celestion Greenback in my Blond Junior. It sounds pretty good.

7. DK207

DK207 Member

Thanks for the info guys. I just picked one up on ebay in awesome shape for $430. Not bad considering new ones are always backorderd and saved me $100! I'll run it stock for a while then maybe swap tubes and do a few of the Bill M mods.

8. Think Floyd

Think Floyd Member

I just sold my BJr. to a friend yesterday. He is by far a better guitarist than me, and when he tried it out I thought "Damn! It never sounded like that for me!" It was all stock, black tolex, about 3 years old but looks new, and I gave him a good deal at $275. Considering the price of a new one today, I REALLY should've kept it, but I'd like to go in a 6V6 direction. Anyway, if I ever get another it'll be a tweed model.

9. mikespe

mikespe Member

I got a Blonde Blues Jr for $339 NEW from Music123 when they screwed up my Hughes & Kettner order during Fourth of July specials. I like the stock speaker however, I contacted Ted Weber and he recommended his ceramic Signature 12B and it is only $50. It is supposed to compare to the Jenson that's in the tweed but a bit warmer sounding and not as harsh at higher volumes. I am not sure if I will upgrade it or not since to me the stock speaker sounds great. But I will admit I don't play at loud volumes.

10. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I own two tweed NOS Blues Jrs, and for home and moderate band volumes, the JensenC12n speaker is sweet and soulful. I actually bought two so I could run them together for bigger rooms, louder gigs.

But for much better bass response and a complete elimination of the "boxiness" that is a common complaint when the amp is cranked or played loud with pedals, I found the Celestion G12h30 to be a much better match.