• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Blues King volume

GloryJones

Hi,

I recently purchased a VFE Blues King and was having some trouble with the output level. I emailed Peter about it and he mentioned that the tone knob is a treble cut, so in my settings (tone ~10, gain ~10) the output level might just be above unity. I don't like using this pedal for a lot of gain. I also don't want to have to click on 2 pedals when I want to use it for a lead.

Would to be ridiculous to put this pedal and a clean boost (Katana or EP Booster) together in a single loop (Keeley)?

Ultimately I'm probably going to do this. I need more volume and I love the pedal. I'm just looking for your opinions and other options. Thanks!

jordane93

I think that is how the pedal is made, with not a lot of output. Mine too is very low volume. I keep the volume at around 4:30 and that is barely above unity

GloryJones

Yeah, I should mention that my volume knob is all the way up. I understand the pedal does not have a lot of volume on tap. But I need more.

jordane93

What you mentioned about the clean boost as an always on is not a bad idea. If you want a really clean boost I'd recommend a MXR micro amp, CAE boost/line drive, or a lizard leg flying dragon boost. Those are the cleanest IMO

I use mine as part of a blues rig specifically. I was running my EP Booster (always on) first into my Blues King then into the Fender setting on my Egnater Tweaker amp. I like to run my Les Paul's pickups in the middle setting and set the blend of the two pickups with their volume knobs, typically with the bridge set to only @ 2.5 to 3.5 and the neck set to about 7. With the lower output, I get a nice round-but-chimey, twangier PAF bridge pickup response on the lower and middle frets and a fuller, throatier flute-like tone on the upper frets at the same time, and I can actually alter the balance slightly by changing my pick attack with my V-Picks and Gravity Picks. The catch is that the total volume output is a little lower, so the EP puts me back up where I can drive the amp into edge-of-breakup blackface tones.

The Blues King is between the EP and the amp, either for solos or simply for songs where a little more gain is better for the sound. The Blues King is more about shaping the tone and adding some gain than it is about providing a lot of boost to the signal. The exception is the diode lift setting, which will provide a quite noticeable level of boost, but I use all three settings for different tones. It does an absolutely fantastic job of it. If I need more total signal input to the amp, I can just turn up the EP a bit more. I usually run it @ 10:00; more for its tonal coloring and to re-balance the lowered pickup output from the guitar.

A few days ago, I got my EHX Soul Food in the mail and have been playing around with it, substituting it for the EP Booster. It also does a great job playing clean booster with a bit of high end sparkle (same as the EP did), but it additionally has the option of blending in some mid-boost and/or gain. Typically, I have found for my blues rig setup that I set the SF's level up enough to re-balance my guitar's output just as I did with the EP, and I vary the range on the gain knob from zero to 9:00. I use the Blues King exactly as I did before with the EP.

With the SF's gain at zero, I get pure clean boost, giving me more of a typical blackface sound. As the gain approaches nine, the tone begins to change to more of a pushed Fender tweed tone, with a tiny bit more gain and a noticeable mid-range response. Again, this is still with the amp set to Fender blackface tone. The SF doesn't do this by itself; it's the interaction between it and the Blues King that yields that particular tone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom