Blues Pro owners - your thoughts, please...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erksin, Mar 23, 2006.

1. erksin

erksin Member

Hey BP owners -

I'm gonna pick one up when they start shipping in a few weeks, and had a few Qs for you all...

How are you using yours - clean solo booster? Low-OD Tube Screamery tones? Mid-gain thickener? Full-on crunch, etc?

How good is the Tone control - do you find it to be versatile or rather limited?

I'm wanting harmonically rich tweedy thickening sort of tones and by some of the clips I've heard, the BP might get me there - true or false? I'd also consider a Clark/Barber Gainster for this application, but I love the MI stuff (and the smaller footprint) so I thought I'd start with the BP.

Also - for those of you who chip swapped, what did you go with and what effect did the chip swap have?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been covered before - the search function isn't working currently...

2. what?

what? Member

is it really going to be shipped in a few weeks?

3. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

I've sent two emails to MI Audio with zero response asking about shipping time, ordering, etc, for the Blues Pro.

Edit to say: I want one.

4. erksin

erksin Member

This is per Jess at Tonefactor.com - I'm guessing MI is slammed right now trying to get orders filled for the BP, CB, and BB Deluxe...

5. jeak

jeak Member

I sold my BP many weeks ago (still wish I hadn't). I don't remember the tone control well enough to answer that question. I found a sweet spot where I liked it and then left it there. I recall the gain being quite versatile, from low breakup to nice, smooth medium gain with almost a high-gain attitude. I think the stock chip is a 4558 (?). At the time, I also had a Blue Boy with a 1458. When I put the 1458 in the Pro, it sounded very much like the Blue Boy. When I did the reverse (4558 in the Boy) the Boy did not sound like the Pro.

The Pro has a special mojo about it that I could never quite get from the Boy. However, the Boy, overall, is even more versatile than the Pro. Those internal controls allow for much more tweaking. But I liked the stock Pro so much that I was just as glad that it did not have anything inside to tweak. I remember the Pro as being a little throatier and little more complex sounding than the Boy.

The search is function is working again. Here are a couple of threads to read:

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

The Pro is totally worth trying, especially for the price. If you don't like, I'll buy it from you (if I haven't bought another one by then).

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

There is no clean boost going on with the Blues Pro. If there is it's a marginal one at best and not where the pedal shines. I think it sounds best as a low to medium grit-gooser, beyond that it's too fizzy and pedal sounding. The range of tones is narrow but deep. So, if you're looking for a Tube Screamer with almost no mid hump/bass loss then it's a pedal worth a drive. Great footprint / stupid low price / nifty looking color / great sound / True Bypass / makes this a must try TS type of pedal. If you need gobs of warm crunch AND a nice low-medium grind that doesn't sound like a transistor radio then buy the Eternity. But if Albert King & BB King is your bag and you play single coils it's a real keeper.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Once again, Jeak - you're a dude and a half. Thanks!

And yes, you can have dibs if I don't like it!

I think I still have some questions that weren't addressed those threads though - like how 'Tweedy' can it get? Since I have an Antelope MDEQ, I can add as much mids as I like - but that Tweed harmonic 'swirl' - can the BP go there?

8. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

Best $90 I ever spent (except for that time in Tijuana). Very easy to find great tone and you can swap op-amps for even more fun. Highly recommend it.

9. drolling

drolling Member

Pretty much in argreement w/my esteemed colleagues here on TGP - I've probably become spoiled by the flexibility of some of the new circuits I've been working with, so when I say it's not vesatile, that's only in relation to something like the Lovepedal Eternity - which covers a ridiculous range of sounds.

The BP really shines as a medium gain OD, in the same way that the CrunchBox works best at extreme settings. For my purposes, Michael's pedals are 'set-and-forget', w/minor tweaks to compensate for the different amps I use em with.

I wouldn't describe the BP as a "harmonically rich tweedy thicken"er sort of pedal - that's getting into HoneyBee teritory, from my point of view.

But it does have an raw, edgy quality that I really dig. For the price, especially, I don't think it can be beat..

10. jeak

jeak Member

I must defer to Drolling on this, as I have no idea. I've never been a Tweed guy (in clothes or amps), so I just couldn't tell you. I have a feeling the BP is a deeper (bassier) sound. With my Stick and my particular rig, I always associated the BP with more of that fat Blackmore sound (Strat neck pup + Marshall). That's going on a very distant memory, though, as I have not heard "Smoke on the Water" in maybe 20 years. I could be way off. I just recall that Blackmore seemed to have a thicker tone than most guys of that era, and to me the BP seemed to have a thicker sound than most of the other ODs I was trying at the same time (Blue Boy, Blackstone, Zendrive, Monkey, Rat, etc). I'm sure there are thicker ones, but I didn't hear the BP as being much of TS-type pedal at all. Again, I'm not playing guitar, so YMMV.

11. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I've been playing my blues pro with an epiphone les paul, and I find that I like the tone knob at 2:00 or higher. Anything lower than that and the sound gets dark for my setup. I bet that differs for single coil guitars however. As far as the gain knob, I've gotten great sounds anywhere from 9:00 to 3:00 on the thing. When I first plugged it in, I set the volume at 11:00, the gain at 12:30, and adjusted the tone knob up to 3:00. A huge smile spread accross my face and hasn't left since. I have a jacques tube blower which is a GREAT tube screamer type overdrive with both bass and treble controls. I love that thing, but it's lost it's place on my board because the blues pro has the same sort of vibe and does it better.

12. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Member

I agree with this post. I use mine with a strat, tele and AS83 (335 type).
    I keep my tone about 11 or 11:30 with the single coils and about 12:30 or 1:00 with the humbuckers. I run mine with just a little hair on it. I really love this pedal. In the pos 2 on the strat, it just fattens the out of phase tone so it squawks. It gives the tele just a little more mid when I go for the slightly over driven tone. I was using a Zendrive which is a great pedal.The BP took it's place. I also run it in conjunction with the Blue Boy.
    That combination works well for me. Even though this is a TS type of pedal the hump is just slight. Just the right amount for my ears.

13. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

i just traded a pedal to a guy who sent me a silver ltd and the blues pro--let me check them both out and keep the one i wanted. i kept the ltd b/c it was more of what i was looking for. ltd is looser sounding to me and i would say richer. the pro has good single note definition and is very articulate. there's a bass boost with the pro which makes it tight sounding--not a woofy, boomy sounding bass boost, just enough to make it tight.

14. VanStone

VanStone Member

If it's "tweedy" you're looking for the C/B Gainster is definitely the ticket, not the BP.

The BP does low to mid gain tones (forget about boost or high gain). The tone knob is pretty typical. General EQ is: average highs, no bass loss, slight mid-push.

As far as what it sounds like, it depends largely on your rig. Through a strat and my BFDR clone, I get SRV-like tones. With humbuckers through a Marshally rig, I get Angus Young. To me this might be the BP's greatest feature - versatility. I have yet to get a bad sound out of it no matter what combination of guitar or amp I throw at it. I guess you could call the BP my "desert island" OD.

My settings are generally Volume 11 o'clock, Tone 2 o'clock, and Gain 2 o'clock. I may vary the Tone and Gain a notch either way depending on the guitar, amp, or song; but really those settings are pretty static.

V

15. VanStone

VanStone Member

Ooops, I forgot to address chip swapping. :eek:

I tried an LM1458 and a Burr Brown OPA2604. The LM made it too tame, too smooth. The Burr Brown sucked out too much bass, and made it overall more trebly as well. So, I ended up putting the JRC4558D back in (which it sounds great with - I just wanted to try out the others).

V

16. erksin

erksin Member

Thanks guys for all your replies!

All of your responses so far make me think I may be on the right track. The 'tweed' component that I'm after is really the more raw, edgy stuff with some nice overtones - sounds like I should be able to wring that out of the BP. The fact that the bass stays tight is a huge plus for me - I hate flabby low end.

Hurry up, Michael - the $$$ is burning a hole in my pocket!

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm not disagreeing really...just, maybe it is terminology but, I use mine (I think) as a clean boost and love it, while I also love the other higher gain sounds out of it.

I am having a hard time deciding how I want to use mine in fact, there are so many settings I like a lot. In fact, I haven't gotten any bad sounds out of it. When I set it for "clean boost" I'm coming to the conclusion that you would maybe call it low gain. To me it sounds pretty clean, but if I "dig in" in the slightest on the string I get just a touch of bite that really sounds great.

But now I bought a Zendrive, and it becomes immidiately apparent to me that the BP is a little bit darker (in a good way) or else...the ZD is a little bit brigher in it's main voicing. I am now trying to decide which one I want for the low gain (the ZD sounds great at low also) and medium...and how to stack them.

I'm going for a nice blues "mostly clean with bite", and also a smooth medium gain, but in addition I want that kind of sound like Clapton had on songs off of "From the Cradle" and "Me and Mr. Johnson", especially on songs like "Reconsider Baby" and "Sinners Prayer", and "Little Queen of Spades".

Heh...I also don't want TOO many options. I want to not have to think all that much about the nuances of the tones, and just have a few to play with so when I am playing I'm not second guessing, but concentrating on the notes.

I'm beginning to see that a lot of it still is in the way you play it. Listening to Hendrix, and others who we all think of (often) as being really OD on some songs, and when you listen you realize the STYLE they played made it seem more OD than it was...than you remember it. Has a lot to do with it.

The BP, I am past the honeymoon stage and I still think it is one of the best purchases I've made. This is not even considering the price, factoring that in it is something not to pass up. I will be ordering a backup one when I get around to it.

This also is a pedal that I have noticed more people than ever mentioning that they "sold it a while back and regret it...." I'm not going to be making that mistake.