Blues Saraceno Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Mar 19, 2008.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Has anyone used/owned the various pedals built by Blues' father Alex. Some of the sound clips are enormously good-especially the Germanium Boy and the new Octavia/fuzz. I know they are pricey but they are hand built. All comments and reviews sought. Thanks..

2. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

No but I saw an ebay auction for one of the amp heads that he used to handbuild and heard some soundclips that were pretty sweet. Are there any links to a website to learn more?

3. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

i've asked this before and definitely they're not popular around here due to their excessive price (500+ booster, for example)

4. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I've wanted a fuzzy boy for some time now...
    I might pull the trigger soon, so I'd let you know then.
    That said, the resale on them, I find, is pretty crappy. I've seen the tone bully go for about $300 used, as well as most of the other $400+ fuzzes he makes. Shop used for these, IMO.

6. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I've owned the Germanium Boy since they first came out. Does it sound like the sound clips? Yes, and no. For whatever reason, when used by itself(no other gain pedal involved) it doesn't come close to soundling like the samples. Sort of weak/thin sounding. Now when I've run it with a Tim, RC Boost, or SBEQ, it's ON!!! Even running clean pedals like the RC, SBEQ make a world of difference in the what the GB sounds like when engaged. With other pedals it's huge sounding.

My issues with the pedals are the loud pop when engaged, and the fact that to get the tone I'm looking for I have to have the gain on the pedal pretty high which makes for a HUGE volume boost when engaged. The paint chips very easily on these too. Chipped in three places first time I changed the battery and I'm super careful with my gear.

It's a great sounding pedal when used for recording, but I had to pull it off the board for band use. The gain jump was too much and my drummer even complained that he could hear the POP when I switch the pedal on. Although, after the initial POP and Boost, the solos that followed had the best tone I've ever had and cut through amazingly well.

I still have mine as I do find things to use it for. Would I buy it if I'd had a chance to try it out first? Probably not.