Blues Technique...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jTreu, Jan 30, 2005.

1. jTreu

jTreu Member

I really wanna start learning some bluesy stuff so what would you reccoment i start with? (i.e songs, techniques, etc)

thanks

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Anything with good technique. Some people say the blues is easy........but thats just shows ignorance. Proper bends, Vibrato, and dynamics are the most important qualities IMO. I'd say BB King . His vibrato is second to none. :dude

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

4. angelo

angelo Member

Listen to what you want to play.

I hear old show tapes and studio stuff and can point out, that's when I was listening to a lot of;
    Jerry, or Dickie Betts, or EJ, or Buddy Guy, or SRV, or Gatton, or whatever.

For good or for bad, it always sounds like me -- but the immersion factor comes through too.

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Dickey Betts...........:dude Now thats a great place to start for any type of music. :cool: :dude

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Moved to the Playing and Technique section

7. Brian D

Brian D Member

I'd say your best bet is to start by sampling some blues and finding out what artists or styles you like. You can't go wrong by starting out with the greats, and there are many of them to choose from. For electric guitar: Albert King, Freddie King, B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Hubert Sumlin (with Howlin' Wolf), and even Jimi Hendrix are all great places to start. There are MANY others as well, and eventually you'll find a few that you really dig. Once you find some artists that you like you can then begin by emulating them and then adding your own style to it.

The actual techniques used in playing the blues are easy to learn, but difficult to master.

Good luck!

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Get SRV live at the el macambo for a great lesson on what you can do with 5 notes. If that performance does not get your attention you are dead.

Anything by Freddie King, especially live.

9. tongas

tongas Guest

10. LoveThemBones

LoveThemBones Member

"Blues You Can Use" book with CD was excellent.

I'm currently getting the homespun DVD Blues Licks and Solos by Jim Weider and I'm pretty excited.

11. Mark C

Mark C Member

Get a book of blues licks just to get you rolling. Learn to play a twelve bar blues chord progression in all keys in your sleep. Being a good blues player means learning to play over the chords, so if you don't know the chords by heart, then your leads will suck. After you've done these two things and farted around a bit, pick out some solos by ear. The absolute best way to learn blues is by mimicing players you enjoy listening to. BB King is an excellent guy to start with because he doesn't play fast, so his solos are fairly easy to pick out, and he outlines chords nicely. Check out "Live at the Regal". Peter Green, Albert King, Freddie King, Albert Collins, Roy Buchanan, Mike Bloomfield and SRV are a few other guys who really knew how to dig into the blues.

12. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

A mean-hearted woman is the first step.....;)

13. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Keith Wyatt's "rockin the blues!" is VERY good starting lesson stuff. Maybe $20 on Ebay.....

14. bluesman

bluesman Member

I'll go ahead and second this one. Blues You Can Use takes you through the funamental stuff - very basic. But even if you've played awhile, I think there's some value in looking at the fundamentals and really trying to nail those. To a non-beginner, some of it will be way too basic though.

There's a second book called More Blues You Can Use, too. It covers much more advanced stuff and is a great 'next step' after you finish the first one.

15. meandi

meandi Member

i've been working out of kenn chipkin's
    "real blues guitar" for a couple of years now w/c.d.
    very well laid out & presented
    covers most of what you'll need

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Keith is the sheeeeite.
    I studied with him at G.I.T. in the late 80's.
    Man, you shoulda seen him at 10am in open counseling, geez what a mess.