Bluesbreaker blues!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. Clean, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Supporting Member

Cliff Notes: Need bluesbreaker sound at low (home) volume.

Dissertation: I'm looking for an amp head or combo that can achieve bluesbreaker sound while playing at home, not necessarily "bedroom" level but not disturbing neighbors level. I am an amature player and will never play outside of my house so I really don't need a lot of volume. Obviously it would be great if it could also achieve classic rock sounds (Zepp, Queen etc.)

The options as I see it are
    1. Attenuator with a marshall 1974x/1962BB/JTM45 or clone (ceritone, etc)
    2. Power Scaling amp (soultone, suhr badger, fargen miniplex II)
    3. Low Watt AMP (DR. Z mini-Z, Carr Mecury)

There is no way I can try all of these options so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

You mean like the Clapton/"Beano" sound?

A lot of that sound is from the speakers being flat out.

Recently the closest I've got to it is with the Maven Peal Ganesha which is a huge 100 watt amp that you can dial back to 1 watt. 1 watt doesn't sound so cool but it does a reasonable simulcra from about 10 watts but you're still missing the speaker thing (until you get quite loud, of course). You may well be better off getting a Tweed Champ (or clone) for a raw sound.

Funnily enough the other amp that got close (I'm talking with a Les Paul, right) was a British "Sessionette" SS amp, go figure.....

Trust this helps.

Best, Pete.

3. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Bluesbreaker tone in spades. I use a Richter attenuator to get the volume down. And since buying my real g12 1967 alnico speakers I have tested the Scumnicos and they sound exactly the same for a lot less money. Lots of other bits enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Clean

Is that the 1974x? At 18w how well does the attenuator work at keeping good overdriven sound at lower sound levels?

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

No:cool:

7. Mr. Clean

Meant to reference the 1962BB not the 1974x.

8. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Well it started out as one but the only thing left is the cab and steel chassis. Just about everything else is changed. Wallace amps did the work and his partner Ray did the custom board. Wallace used Marstran transformers and NOS mustard caps. I think it is as close as you can get to building a duplicate...well maybe a 12 deep cab instead of the 10.5 inch cab.
    The Richter does a phenomenal job controlling the volume the best I have tried and I have bought and sold 6 other attenuators all the big names.