Bluesbreaker overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derek_32999, Jan 17, 2006.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Anyone else use one of these great pedals? WOW!! Why aren't they talked about more around here? This thing may just boot my COT50:eek: (and I love this particular cot50)! The bluesbreaker gives that same flavor of drive (at around 3 oclock on the bluesbreaker and around 2:30 on the cot) and rolls off at the volume knob nicely as well. Of course the cot gets more fuzzy (good) at aound 4-5 oclock. I usually use the cot50 for the cleanish plexi tones ala castles made of sand, the bluesbreaker does this too! With the OD cranked it is more texas blues sounding ala johnny winter/SRV. Great Pedal!! IF you cant afford a COT get one of the old bluesbreakers. Anyone else have good bluesbreaker stories?

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

You're speakin about the older marshall bluesbreakers? I've heard great things about them.

I'm curious as to how the current crop of BBs sound

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yup the big ol black one sounds GREAT!!!

4. EXP

EXP Member

5. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

I wonder hows new bluesbreaker2 sound like?
    any one ???

6. EXP

EXP Member

ehh, doesnt sound as good as the original BB

7. erksin

erksin Member

I had one when they first came out and really liked it - until all 3 of the mini pots FROZE solid after about 6 months of use. Tossed it, but probably should have held on to it...

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'm a BIG fan of that pedal. It was my fav until I got the Timmy, VERY underrated. Equally underrated is the original SansAmp, very close to the Marshall. The Marshall is a great pedal for a BF Fender.

9. jockman

jockman Member

The BB2 is good, but I am always hearing that the original is far better, I would be interested to know why.

Jon

10. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Could be the old "they don't make them like they used to" thing...I had one, nice tone, but not much volume on the one I had anyway.

11. EXP

EXP Member

i agree about the volume issue on the BB.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It also is actually (though I love this forum, don't get me wrong) a little elitist here.

I mean, how often do any of us discuss the merits of Boss, or other pedals? Okay, some pedals do get mention, but mostly we are all just wanting to find that hidden gem.

I think this is maybe subconsciously a little like...I don't know. We all know the big names have their own techs, that tweak and tweak to their specs, and give them that extra edge....Henrix, SRV, etc...

So it is kinda fun to get to feel like you are buying some homemade (no matter what the reality of it is) home tweaked (sometimes it is true though) specialty pedal that is going to just give YOU that edge.

The thing that is really amazing, and nice, is most musicians STILL will share and turn others onto the pedal. it's not like they want to hog the pedal and keep it to themselves.

I truly believe in some pedals, if in reality the Boss sounded exactly like the Big Mojo Muff Mitten pedal....we'd still want to believe and convince each other that the Mitten was THE pedal.

Then again, that MI Audio Blue Pro is fantastic :)

See, I'm not immune either.

13. EXP

EXP Member

speaking of elitist, Stompbox did you order that KR Doubler? :D

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Heh...

Like I said...not immune. Actually, there are fewer of those...they aren't typically mass produced.

Anyway, no not yet. I can't just buy all I want at once. Not and make house payments. But, I think next in line (I have been on the brink at least 5-6 times this week of just ordering the damned thing) is the KR Megavibe.

Then, in a few months, when all is cooled down, the Doubler.

But that's it! Okay, except for a backup "big john" power supply.
    and maybe...the Boss RT-20.

Um....let me get back to you on that, now that I think about it.

15. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

The New BB is too bass heavy more tone for the Metal guys! The Old Black one was a great Pedal but you had to turn 3/4 up or more to get a good grind,but it was cool,I sold it and still have my Cot 50 and that with my RC boost gives me better tone for what I play.Listen to or Song on web site that is Cot With RC.
    www.bnoweb.com
    :rolleyes:

16. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I've got a BB2 and I don't see the "too bass heavy more tone for metal guys" thing at all. I don't hear that in mine at all. I've never had the option of comparing it to an original though.

17. MrSage

MrSage Member

Yeah, the old one is pretty good. Not a high-gain pedal, but that's what the shredmaster is for, right?

;)

Mine seems to like humbuckers better than single coils.

18. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

had one BB 1 pedal, sounded great but was beat to hell. Liked the way you could play it in front of other overdrive pedals like the Maxon OD 808. Sold my entire rig, and the pedal went too about the same time; just bought one on Ebay to see if it is a match for my currrent rig. Great pedal, volume issue and cheap knobs not withstanding. We'll see how it goes this go around. This one looks mint, which is WAY different than my old one, which looked like a Mack truck ran over it...

19. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I love the BB (black box), and I love the Drivemaster too, wich in my opinion is better than the original guv'nor, little more compressed
    I heard the Jeckyl and Hyde has the same schematic and sound exactly than the Drivemaster

20. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

yes the bb1 is a good pedal, and I agee not talked about enough.