Bluesbreaker sound in a pedal?

bigarm

I found 2 reasonably priced pedals that say "Bluesbreaker" and was wondering if either gave a Bluesbreaker amp like sound. The two are:
Rowin LN-321 Nano series Sweet n Wild Blues-breaker (really inexpensive and small which would be really good for my board)
or
Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker

Any input on these?

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
The zvex distortron is among the best bluesbreaker style OD's. I prefer it to the box of rock because of the gain switch and bass rolloff switch.

http://www.zvex.com/products/distortron

I should clarify that what I mean is that the Distortron emulates the sound of an original JTM45/Bluesbreaker amp. Another similar but more expensive pedal is the Menatone WorkingMans Blue which I have never owned but people rave about.

I think many of the pedals in this thread are clones or modded clones of the 80's era Marshall bluesbreaker "pedal". If you want one of them then I dont think you can do better than the analogman Prince of Tone. Cheap, small, no waiting list and sounds like its bigger brother the KOT.

Last edited:

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
The Marshall v2 is the biggest piece of **** ever. Ok, maybe not the biggest, but that pedal is a serious contender for the spot.

Snouse is what you want and need. Give him your business - you'll be happy you did.

EDIT: Just saw you already snagged one - solid choice.

jimmyj

It probably doesn't sound that much like an actual Bluesbreaker amp (I did have one of the first reissues for several years) but I loved that Marshall BBII pedal for about 8-9 years. Using the bridge pickup of my tele into a half way turned up Top Hat Club Royale and that pedal I got more tone compliments that just about any other combination. I can even remember a young guy coming up to the stage during a break saying, "I had to come see what you're using because it sounds so delicious".

I'm entering that pedal into the thread about pedals you love that TGP hates.

StormJH1

The Marshall v2 is the biggest piece of **** ever. Ok, maybe not the biggest, but that pedal is a serious contender for the spot.

Snouse is what you want and need. Give him your business - you'll be happy you did.

EDIT: Just saw you already snagged one - solid choice.
+1 (or +10 by now) on the Snouse BlackBox. Granted, he's just reproducing a classic design, but to get something like that hand-built for sub-$100 was one of the pleasant buying experiences I've had going just a little off the beaten path to buy a pedal.

That whole v2 of the Chinese-made (I think) Marshall pedals is a mixed bag. I owned the Guv'nor (which is kind of OCD-like) and the Jackhammer. They were both actually okay, but sounded blanketed. The Jackhammer was sort of like a Metal Zone to try and dial in (albeit with better end results). But thing I really couldn't stand was the form factor. Fake Chrome knobs that are impossible to see with any type of light glare, and they are SUPER fragile because of how tall, thin, and exposed they are. I dropped one of them and, since it weighs like 5 pounds or something, it immediately bent the shaft on one of those knobs. I was able to flip it as damaged goods, and did not look back.

Blues Crab is a solid Mooer version, and they now have the even cheaper re-branded Mooers (Aroma, Tomsline, and others) for like $30. Those are probably fine as well.

Krausewitz

The best I've found is Weehbo, but they can be pricey.

The fundamental problem is in the low-end. It is so lovely and spongey in a real JTM45 turned up. This feature is either ignored in pedals, or translates to flub and mud. VERY hard to do right.

Bshecko

Keeley 1962X is amazing
This is my vote for Bluesbreaker amp tones. Much more gain that punches a Les Paul note out of the speaker like the amp. KT66/88 switch is fantastic!

If you want the more smooth Bluesbreaker pedal sound go Snouse BlackBox. With the BlackBox 2 you can get close to the amp tones now that the gain has been increased but it's based on the Bluesbreaker pedal so depends on what you're going for.

71strat

While not a BB circuit.. I dont think ????

All I can say is I like my old 1989 Marshall The Guv 'nor with my 2013 LTD ED NOS tubes/KT66/Mullards Metro GMP45 head x 2 Celestion Creams

While it can drive the amp with way more gain than a JTM45 has, the Guv 'nor is very capable of running lower gain, and really matching the EQ of my Metro for just goosing it a bit. Guv has way more gain than I really ever use, and originally got it to use with a 69 Dual Showman, for a Marshall in a Box pedal.
I also recommend a Power Supply vs Battery as the Battery Acccess is THE WORST Ive EVER SEEN.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom